[Davisgig] Davisgig Digest, Vol 53, Issue 3

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Wed Jul 24 14:23:18 PDT 2019

The Broadband Advisory Task Force's feasibility study looked into overhead
and advised against it. If I recall correctly, the finding was based on a
mixture of considerations including the poor condition of the poles, the
load they're already carrying, the higher maintenance costs for fiber on
poles, and the likelihood that the incumbents would fight bitterly to keep
us off the poles. (Even though they don't own them, the telecomm incumbents
have some ability to keep others off by creating various hassles.)

I've often wondered, though, that if the City of Davis build a fiber loop,
a plucky small operator might extend off it to cherry-pick neighborhoods
with better poles.