[Davisgig] Davisgig Digest, Vol 53, Issue 3

Douglas A. Walter dawalter at dcn.org
Wed Jul 24 13:41:42 PDT 2019

Hi Dave. To summarize (which your digest will do, in a way), the network of overhead wires is more extensive than several people believe, but the costs to access them are likely quite steep. And that - plus resiliency - makes buried conduit more plausible. (Yes, conduit can flood or break in an earthquake, but poles actually have problem in both those scenarios, too. Plus I've experienced a Davis wind storm that broke a pole-based connection. So, buried fiber is more resilient, IMO.)

But I can't resist noting that the areas of Davis with no overhead wires would better be characterized as half-vast.

On Jul 24, 2019, at 1:16 PM, Dave Hart <davehart at dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> If I missed it in the responses, I apologize, but while there is a network of overhead wires in some of the older areas of town, there are vast areas of Davis with no overhead wires that would still require underground conduit.  So, there's that.
> On 7/24/19 12:00 PM, davisgig-request at list.omsoft.com wrote:[snip]

Doug Walter (home account)
dawalter at dcn.org
"Wag more, bark less"