[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 2/24

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Feb 24 10:01:38 PST 2015

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the Institute for
Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear at bottom.  Send
feedback.  Forward Widely.*

*I'll be on Reddit for an Ask Me Anything on Thursday at 6 PM ET - the
evening after the FCC rules of Network Neutrality and the Muni Petitions
from Chattanooga and
Wilson. http://muninetworks.org/content/join-christopher-reddit-ask-him-anything-feb-26th-6-7-pm-est
<http://muninetworks.org/content/join-christopher-reddit-ask-him-anything-feb-26th-6-7-pm-est>*

USA Today Leadership Latest to Support Munis
<http://muninetworks.org/content/usa-today-leadership-latest-support-munis>
Fri, February 20, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/usa-today-leadership-latest-support-munis>

USA Today recently joined the growing list of national press to publicly
support local telecommunications authority. In its February 16th opinion
piece
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/02/16/municipal-broadband-internet-service-providers-fcc-editorials-debates/23523883/>,
the Editorial Board commented on the proposed rule being considered by the
FCC that would allow local communities to chart their own course with no
preemption from state legislatures:

The FCC should stand up to the broadband lobby and approve the rule. The
laws in question have not been passed in the name of limited government but
rather in the name of limiting competition.

USA Today recognizes that many of the communities that invest in
infrastructure do so out of necessity when they cannot draw the interest of
the big players that fight to limit their ability to make those
investments. Whether or not a community decides to deploy a muni should
always be left up to the people who live there, argues the Editorial Board
<http://www.usatoday.com/reporters/opinion.html>:

The question, however, is not whether these systems are good, but whether
they should be quashed by acts of legislatures. The answer is no.

Answering Questions About Title II and Munis - Community Broadband Bits
Episode 138
<http://muninetworks.org/content/answering-questions-about-title-ii-and-munis-community-broadband-bits-episode-138>
Tue, February 17, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/answering-questions-about-title-ii-and-munis-community-broadband-bits-episode-138>

As we near the FCC open meeting at the end of next week, when it will
decide on both the Chattanooga and Wilson petitions regarding their wish to
expand as well as a proposal to reclassify Internet access a Title II
service in order to ensure it can maintain the same open Internet we have
long loved. We have mostly focused on the muni petitions, but after hearing
some concerns from some munis regarding Title II, we realized we have to
delve into the Title II reclassification more deeply.

Enter Chris Lewis, VP of Government of Affairs for Public Knowledge
<https://www.publicknowledge.org/>. I've always enjoyed talking with Chris
on various issues around telecom policy and we asked him to come on and
answer some of the questions we have heard.

We talk about the prospects of rate regulation, unbundling, transparency
requirements, and the process for filing complaints until Title II.
Overall, our conclusion is that the rules as we understand them, are quite
reasonable and should not pose a problem to munis that are already
committed to providing a high quality service.

You can read a Fact Sheet about the proposed rules here
<http://www.fcc.gov/document/chairman-wheeler-proposes-new-rules-protecting-open-internet>
.

... Listen to our Discussion Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/answering-questions-about-title-ii-and-munis-community-broadband-bits-episode-138>

Grover Beach Chooses Local Partner to Improve Local Connectivity for
Businesses
<http://muninetworks.org/content/grover-beach-chooses-local-partner-improve-local-connectivity-businesses>
Wed, February 18, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/grover-beach-chooses-local-partner-improve-local-connectivity-businesses>

After several years of considering options for a municipal network, the
community of Grover Beach, California <http://www.grover.org/>, is
improving local connectivity options through a collaboration with private
partner Digital West <https://www.digitalwest.com/>.

According to the San Luis Obispo Tribune
<http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/10/13/3294382/grover-beach-digital-west-broadband.html>,
the City struck a deal last fall with the local firm that will provide
gigabit connectivity to local business customers. A city staff report
<http://www.grover.org/DocumentCenter/View/4796> states that Grover Beach
will install and own a series of conduit
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term305> that will house fiber owned by
Digital West.

The company, a data storage and web hosting firm located in nearby San Luis
Obispo, will manage the fiber network. Digital West will lease conduit
space from the city for 5.1% of its gross revenue from its operation of the
private portion of the system. The initial lease is for a 10-year term. The
company will also transfer ownership of some of the fiber to the city for
public purposes. San Luis Obispo (SLO) County also wants to connect its
facilities in the area and will contribute to the cost of the project. It
appears as though SLO County will use the fiber provided to Grover Beach.

... Read More on Grover Beach Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/grover-beach-chooses-local-partner-improve-local-connectivity-businesses>

Boulder Uses New Found Authority to Offer Free Wi-Fi
<http://muninetworks.org/content/boulder-uses-new-found-authority-offer-free-wi-fi>
Tue, February 17, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/boulder-uses-new-found-authority-offer-free-wi-fi>

Just two months after voters passed ballot measure 2C
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/republicans-and-democrats-alike-restore-local-authority-colorado>,
the City of Boulder is solidifying plans to offer free Wi-Fi
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term29> throughout the downtown Civic
Area, reports the Boulder Daily Camera
<http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_27407821/boulder-launch-public-wi-fi-civic-area>
.

Boulder was one of several Colorado communities that reclaimed local
authority last fall. They had no specific project planned
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/another-colorado-community-may-reclaim-local-telecommunications-authority>
but
knew they needed to create an environment rich in opportunity. Colorado's
state law is so restrictive, there was little Boulder could do with the
fiber resources they already have in place:

"Before, we were technically breaking the law by having wi-fi at the
library," [Boulder IT Director Don Ingle] said.

... Read our Coverage Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/boulder-uses-new-found-authority-offer-free-wi-fi>

Christopher Mitchell discusses Net Neutrality on Minnesota Public Radio’s
“Daily Circuit.”
<http://muninetworks.org/content/christopher-mitchell-discusses-net-neutrality-minnesota-public-radio%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Cdaily-circuit%E2%80%9D>
Fri, February 20, 2015 | Posted by rebecca
<http://muninetworks.org/users/rebecca>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/christopher-mitchell-discusses-net-neutrality-minnesota-public-radio%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Cdaily-circuit%E2%80%9D>

Last fall, MPR's "Daily Circuit" interviewed Chris regarding President
Obama’s net neutrality plan and how it could shape the future of the
Internet.

Chris discussed why Obama’s request that Internet service be reclassified
under Title II is necessary, but not sufficient to solve current market
problems. Chris explained that right now consumers have very few choices,
and big telecom is using its monopoly power to disadvantage competitors.

Title II requires telecommunications companies to charge reasonable rates
to everyone, rather than implementing “fast lanes” for certain companies.

Chris was joined by Chester Wisniewski, senior security advisor at Sophos.
The interview was hosted by MPR’s Tom Crann.

... Listen to the interview
<http://www.mprnews.org/listen/?name=/minnesota/podcasts/daily_circuit/2015/01/dailycircuitinternet_20150115>

Chris responds to President Obama’s endorsement of community networks on
MPR's "Daily Circuit"
<http://muninetworks.org/content/chris-responds-president-obama%E2%80%99s-endorsement-community-networks-mprs-daily-circuit>
Sat, February 21, 2015 | Posted by rebecca
<http://muninetworks.org/users/rebecca>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/chris-responds-president-obama%E2%80%99s-endorsement-community-networks-mprs-daily-circuit>

Minnesota Public Radio’s Daily Circuit (MPR) interviewed Chris about President
Obama’s recent endorsment
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/national-press-follows-president-obama-cedar-falls-iowa>
end restrictions on states that limit local broadband authority. Chris and
Danna Mackenzie, executive director of theMinnesota Office of Broadband
Development <http://mn.gov/deed/programs-services/broadband/>, answered
questions about what Obama’s announcement means for faster, cheaper, more
reliable Internet for consumers.

Chris explained that it’s great to see federal government “getting it
right” and championing the rights of local governments. He also discredits
the argument about public money for Internet networks, and addresses why
municipal approaches offer some of the wisest and most efficient use of
taxpayer dollars.

You can listen to a 3-minute clip in the audio player below, or click the
link to hear the entire interview:
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/11/13/daily-circuit-net-neutrality

... Listen to the Full Show Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/chris-responds-president-obama%E2%80%99s-endorsement-community-networks-mprs-daily-circuit>

Republican Rep. McMorris Rodgers on Broadband as Essential Infrastructure
<http://muninetworks.org/content/republican-rep-mcmorris-rodgers-broadband-essential-infrastructure>
Fri, February 20, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>

President Obama
<http://muninetworks.org/content/national-press-follows-president-obama-cedar-falls-iowa>
is
not the only Washington politician who is coming out to describe broadband
networks as critical infrastructure. Cathy McMorris Rodgers
<http://www.mcmorris.house.gov/>, a Republican Representative for the 5th
congressional district in the state of Washington recently said the same at
the Internet Policy Conference, hosted by the Internet Education Foundation
in Washington DC.

C-SPAN televised the event and here is McMorris Rodgers as she addresses
the question of how involved the federal government should be in developing
rural networks.

... Watch the Clip Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/republican-rep-mcmorris-rodgers-broadband-essential-infrastructure>
Community Broadband Media Roundup - February 20
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-20>
Sat, February 21, 2015 | Posted by rebecca
<http://muninetworks.org/users/rebecca>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-20>

Next week the FCC will make a landmark decision that will affect the future
of community networks. Here's a roundup of stories.

Hate Your Internet Service Provider? You Should Have Feb. 26 Circled on
Your Calendar
<http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/02/14/hate-your-isp-you-should-have-feb-26-circled-on-yo.aspx>
by
Daniel B. Kline, Motley Fool

The state of city-run Internet
<http://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/02/18/16792/state-city-run-internet> by
Allan Holmes, Center for Public Integrity

The Center and Reveal revisited Tullahoma, Tennessee and Fayetteville,
North Carolina, where state laws restrict municipal broadband growth.

How Will the Fight over Public ISPs and Net Neutrality Play Out?
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-will-the-fight-over-public-isps-and-net-neutrality-play-out/>
by
Larry Greenemeier, Scientific American

In an effort to sort through these and other issues impacting how people
will access and use the Internet for years to come, Scientific American
spoke with Lev Gonick, CEO of OneCommunity, an ISP for Case Western Reserve
University, University Hospitals and another 1,800 public-benefit
organizations in northeastern Ohio.

“The idea of local governments taking it upon themselves to improve
community broadband speeds has caught on in recent years, particularly in
towns and cities that host major universities craving greater network
bandwidth <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term2>.”

... Hey Pardner, the Rest of the Roundup Is Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-20>

--
You can always find our most recent stories and other resources at http://MuniNetworks.org
---