[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 8/26

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Thu Aug 27 06:56:32 PDT 2015

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the *
*Institute for Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear
at bottom.  Send feedback.  Forward Widely.*

*We were saddened at the passing of Scott DeGarmo and have republished the
fitting words of Jim Baller.
<http://muninetworks.org/content/we-remember-scott-degarmo>*

Gig City Wilson Helps Local Companies Thrive
<http://muninetworks.org/content/gig-city-wilson-helps-local-companies-thrive>
Mon, August 17, 2015 | Posted by Catharine Rice
<http://muninetworks.org/users/catharine-rice>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/gig-city-wilson-helps-local-companies-thrive>

The story of how Wilson's municipal fiber network, Greenlight, won over one
of its strongest critics illustrates how community networks support and
benefit local businesses. Tina Mooring is the Manager of Computer Central
in Wilson and was an opponent of the city building a fiber optic network to
provide a choice beyond the incumbent cable and DSL
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term9> companies, both of which were
national carriers.

"We were fearful," says Mooring, when asked about her feelings when the
City of Wilson first announced its plan to build out a community-wide fiber
to the home network. Reselling DSL connections leased from the incumbent
telephone company was Computer Central's bread and butter. "We repaired
computers and we resold DSL...and we were supposed to take a ‘leap of
faith' that the City did not want to put us out of business." Mooring was
outspoken in her belief that Wilson was taking the wrong step.

... Read More on How Wilson Created More Business Opportunities for
Computer Central ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/gig-city-wilson-helps-local-companies-thrive>

More Details on the Northwest Open Access Network - Community Broadband
Bits Episode 164
<http://muninetworks.org/content/more-details-northwest-open-access-network-community-broadband-bits-episode-164>
Tue, August 18, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/more-details-northwest-open-access-network-community-broadband-bits-episode-164>

Just a few short weeks ago, we interviewed Dave Spencer, the Chief
Operating Officer
<http://muninetworks.org/content/noanet-touches-every-county-washington-state-community-broadband-bits-episode-159>
for
the Northwest Open Access Network (NoaNet) <http://www.noanet.net/> in
Washington. We offered a good overview, but got some requests for more
details so Dave returns this week for a more focused discussion in episode
164.

We discuss the specific services that are available and how the retail
service providers access them as well as NoaNet's enlightening approach to
peering so its service providers have the benefits of low cost, high
quality Netflix videos, as an example.

We also discuss the legal status of NoaNet as a nonprofit municipal
organization. Finally, we discuss the other services that NoaNet makes
available and how some of the fees are structured.

... Listen to the Show Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/more-details-northwest-open-access-network-community-broadband-bits-episode-164>

Baltimore for Broadband Op-Ed Demands Local Authority
<http://muninetworks.org/content/baltimore-broadband-op-ed-demands-local-authority>
Wed, August 19, 2015 | Posted by phineas
<http://muninetworks.org/users/phineas>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/baltimore-broadband-op-ed-demands-local-authority>

On July 27 an important op-ed appeared in the Baltimore Sun
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-baltimore-broadband-20150726-story.html>
argue for the creation of a Baltimore Broadband Authority (BBA). Written by
a cohort of three philanthropic organization presidents, two consultants,
one broadband coalition leader, and one state senator, the op-ed echoed the
calls of Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and community groups, such
as the Baltimore Broadband CrowdFiber initiative
<http://muninetworks.org/content/baltimore-residents-take-initiative-crowdfiber-campaign>,
who believe that in order for Baltimore to continue its development into a
haven for young people, minimize pernicious digital inequalities, and
ensure economic growth, the City must take charge of its fiber assets. As
the authors wrote:

We urge the city of Baltimore to move quickly, but carefully, to create the
much-needed Broadband Authority and act with all deliberate speed to devise
a comprehensive, workable plan to move us forward.

... Read on for More Baltimore Background ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/baltimore-broadband-op-ed-demands-local-authority>

Murfreesboro Wants to Use Existing Fiber for Better Connectivity
<http://muninetworks.org/content/murfreesboro-wants-use-existing-fiber-better-connectivity>
Thu, August 20, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/murfreesboro-wants-use-existing-fiber-better-connectivity>

In the center of Tennessee sits Murfreesboro
<http://www.murfreesborotn.gov/>, the fastest growing city in the state
with 108,000 people and one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. (Just
10 years ago there were only 68,000 residents.) Murfreesboro is also one of
the next communities to show an interest in a publicly owned fiber network
to improve connectivity.

In an August press release [PDF]
<http://murfreesboroelectric.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/MED-Fiber-News-Release.pdf>,
Murfreesboro Electric Department (MED) described their existing 19-mile
fiber infrastructure, used for communication and control purposes for the
electricity distribution system. The fiber was deployed in 2008, says MED
General Manager Steve Sax, and the utility is now making plans to use spare
fibers for Internet connectivity. MED is in the process of expanding its
network by an additional 20 miles.

... Yet Another Tennessee Muni Approach ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/murfreesboro-wants-use-existing-fiber-better-connectivity>

Traffic Project Gets Fiber in the Ground in Winston-Salem, NC
<http://muninetworks.org/content/traffic-project-gets-fiber-ground-winston-salem-nc>
Tue, August 18, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/traffic-project-gets-fiber-ground-winston-salem-nc>

Winston-Salem <http://www.cityofws.org/> struck up a smart deal with the
North Carolina Department of Transportation in 2011. Four years later, that
agreement allows the city to move forward with its vision for an I-Net
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term15>.

The Winston-Salem Journal reports
<http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/city-to-connect-departments-with-fiber-optic-links/article_23c54fdc-3597-11e5-8915-bfcb01165814.html>
that
the City Council recently approved $826,522 for networking equipment to
light up city owned fiber installed by the NCDOT. The agency has been
upgrading area traffic control systems, a project estimated at around $20
million. Winston-Salem took advantage of the opportunity and paid the
agency $1.5 million to simultaneously install its own fiber in the state
conduit <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term305>.

... More Details on This Approach in North Carolina ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/traffic-project-gets-fiber-ground-winston-salem-nc>

New Reference From U-W Extension A Library Must-Have
<http://muninetworks.org/content/new-reference-u-w-extension-library-must-have>
Wed, August 19, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/new-reference-u-w-extension-library-must-have>

The University of Wisconsin-Extension recently released *Broadband Policies
and Regulations for Wisconsin Stakeholders*, a good addition to your
digital library, especially if you have in interest in Wisconsin and
midwestern broadband issues.

The document provides case studies and an in-depth list of references
addressing:

   - Public-private partnerships
   - Local ordinances
   - Technology councils
   - Community engagement
   - Local government telecommunications services
   - Unique efforts to increase adoption

... More Details Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/new-reference-u-w-extension-library-must-have>

Nebraska Farmer Wants Fiber, Won't Be Ripped Off By Windstream
<http://muninetworks.org/content/nebraska-farmer-wants-fiber-wont-be-ripped-windstream>
Sat, August 22, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/nebraska-farmer-wants-fiber-wont-be-ripped-windstream>

Windstream has the distinction of being one of the worst providers we have
ever covered from consumers' perspective
<http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/windstream.html>, but in rural
areas many people have little or no choice. The latest Windstream debacle
involves a Nebraska farmer, an outrageous price quote, and a local company
that is taking on the project for about one-ninth of Windstream's estimate.

Ars Technica recently introduced
<http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/08/want-fiber-internet-thatll-be-383500-isp-tells-farm-owner/>
us
to Nelson Schneider, CTO of the Norman R. Schneider Family Trust Farm in
Ceresco, Nebraska. Like many other farms today, the Schneider business
needs fast, reliable connections for a variety of reasons including
checking ever changing grain prices. Schneider had Windstream's DSL
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term9> for $80 per month, but his
promised speeds of 1.5 Mbps <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term18> were
clocked at 512 Kbps <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term16> download
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term8> and 256 Kbps upload
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term28>, making business online
impossible.

... Yet Another in the Long Line of Horror Stories Involving Windstream ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/nebraska-farmer-wants-fiber-wont-be-ripped-windstream>

Bald Head Island Reopens RFP to Find The Right Partner
<http://muninetworks.org/content/bald-head-island-reopens-rfp-find-right-partner>
Fri, August 21, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/bald-head-island-reopens-rfp-find-right-partner>

After searching for a suitable partner
<http://muninetworks.org/content/nc-bald-head-island-releases-rfp-gigabit-network>,
the Village of Bald Head Island in North Carolina has reopened its RFP for
a gigabit fiber network. Apparently, the community received four responses
but no proposal provided the level of detail they require.

In order to give respondents another opportunity and to offer new
candidates a chance, Bald Head Island leaders chose to release the RFP a
second time with additional questions and a responsibility matrix. No
response will be considered without answers to these new appendices. All
three documents are available on the Village website
<http://www.villagebhi.org/VBHIRFP.html>.

... Read the Rest Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/bald-head-island-reopens-rfp-find-right-partner>

--