[Davisgig] City Staff Meeting Review + Davis Gig General Meeting Wed May 6th

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Thu Apr 30 19:03:21 PDT 2015

Hi All

1) Our 2nd meeting with City staff was informative, and productive. It
seems these meetings will develop and continue over the next months.
Although the conversation was diverse and varied, here are some key
points that were discussed most.

  a) The innovation parks are still center stage, but perhaps they could
be, in part aids to our initial efforts in fundraising. Perhaps any
parcel tax we use to fund this effort and make a city utility would be
the same election as those parks, or perhaps they could be tied together
in some other way. The ddevelopers of said parks, eager to get their
developments passed, might seriously contribute financially to the
deployment, as its in their interest anyways, as potential tenants would
be sold, on the gigiabit FTTH

  b) the goal of having public outreach sessions was reiterated. We can
and should take the initiative and make these happen, and invite city
staff and council members.  They need to be  videotaped and part of the
community record.

  c)  Assistance is needed defining and preparing the scope of the
Request For Prooposal (RFP) for the Feasability Study Report (FSR) the
council needs, and cannot act without.  The FSR has to hit on community
goals of Carbon Footprint, Sustainability, economic Diversification etc.
Thoughts were we have to find a municipality that has done the same type
of thing, perhaps see their RFP or FSR if public and see if we can gain
insight from that, to help prepare the city RFP for the FSR for
municipal community owned broadband.

I hope i have that  characterized correctly.

  d) We are needing all this rather soon, the public outreach, and the
terms for the RFP. We need this to have an alternative to the Comcast
provided I-net the city currently uses for all its facilities. In
September 2018 that franchise agreement is up, and I don't really think
Comcast is going to give it away for free now. Plus, if there is to be a
parcel tax or vote to do this city wide as a utility with a line item as
an annual  property tax piece or add onto the Water Sewer Garbage bill,
that vote needs to happen 06.2016.

  e) Next meeting will try to have with the yolo county folks as well to
discuss efforts in a county context with LAFCO, the commission that
ordered development of the Yolo Broadband Strategic Plan.

2) General Meeting location TBA Wed May 6th, 6:30pm.

Please drop me an email if  you plan to attend so I can get a sense of
attendance. I think this is an important meeting to attend because our
public outreach / fundraising efforts are going to begin in earnest.

Taking monies for our effort likely involves an existing 501c3 non
profit to act as a Fiscal Agent, be able to provide a bank account to
tie our paypal donation button into and provide receipts for donations.
It could be Davis Community Network, That needs to be discussed, a
larger group, and, since we are not an organizational entitiy, someone
aside from myself needs to be the person to enter into an Agreeement on
DavisGig's behalf.

Around the Corner
5/6/15 Speaking about the project to the Progressive Business Exchange.
Hopefully Ill pound out an  exciting 15 minute or so talk on it that is
reproducible ;)

--
Rob Nickerson

CEO
Om Networks
UCD Class of 96
C: 530-848-3865

If we have helped you in a positive way, please give us a good
recommendation at daviswiki.org <http://daviswiki.org/Omsoft>, and/or
yelp.com <http://www.yelp.com/biz/omsoft-technologies-davis>.
Please like us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/omsofttechnologies%22>. and put us in your