[Davisgig] City Staff Meeting Review + Davis Gig General Meeting Wed May 6th

Douglas A. Walter dawalter at dcn.org
Thu Apr 30 23:10:17 PDT 2015

Hi all. I thought the items from the meeting with City staff were of great interest, but I wanted to focus in on this:

On Apr 30, 2015, at 7:03 PM, Robert Nickerson via Davisgig wrote:

> Hi All
>
> [snip]
>
> 2) General Meeting location TBA Wed May 6th, 6:30pm.
>
> [snip]
> Taking monies for our effort likely involves an existing 501c3 non profit to act as a Fiscal Agent, be able to provide a bank account to tie our paypal donation button into and provide receipts for donations. It could be Davis Community Network, That needs to be discussed, a larger group, and, since we are not an organizational entitiy, someone aside from myself needs to be the person to enter     into an Agreeement on DavisGig's behalf.

Okay, I do think that this could be a productive direction. I want to be sure everyone understands, though, that all money donated to a 501(c)3 is "irrevocably dedicated to charity," and can have NO mixing with an effort to pass something in an election. Indeed, once a vote comes anywhere close, a charity has to be very careful to desist from educational efforts that might be misinterpreted as trying to influence voters to make a specific decision. Yes, there's a little bit of slop, but there's a good reason that political pros have so many forms of PACs and other organizations -- including 501(c)4s -- that are structured so that they can accept donations and then work on electoral issues.

So for what activities are we soliciting donations, and when/how are we going to separate "pure" education about muni gigabit fiber networks from the political question of financing a public utility that will construct such a network?

> Around the Corner
> 5/6/15 Speaking about the project to the Progressive Business Exchange. Hopefully Ill pound out an  exciting 15 minute or so talk on it that is reproducible ;)

Gee, that sounds like a fun thing to do before a General Meeting!

--
“Sing the names of the dead who brought us here, who laid the train tracks, raised the bridges, picked the cotton and the lettuce, built brick by brick the glittering edifices they would then keep clean and work inside of.” -- Elizabeth Alexander

Doug Walter • dawalter at dcn.org • (home address)