[Davisgig] Greetings

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Wed Dec 24 10:51:31 PST 2014

Holiday greetings, all.
Thanks for setting this up, Rob.

As personal introduction for list subscribers:
Though I am no longer in Davis, I continue to have a love of Davis and the region,
and am an Omsoft/DCN network user.   I was an early 'community Internetworking'
champion, integrating that with rural community eco-planning and new media arts,
beginning in the 1970s.    I was Exec. Dir. of DCN from 1996-2006, and had minor
fiber and wireless community networking involvements across the US and globally.
Since 2006, I have directed the 1st-Mile Institute, and working with Andrew Cohill, PhD,
(Design Nine, Inc.) have been involved in planning 'open fiber' networking initiatives
across the US., especially focusing on the financial, management and organizational
structures for 1st-Mile networks and services.

I would love to be of help on a Davis Gig initiative, having extensive experience,
contacts, references and resources to share.    I can easily be available via email
or via Skype or Google+ Hangout, for working meetings and processes.

An initial question:
- What is the status of the Yolo County LAFCo Next Gen. Broadband Initiative?
- What resulted from the RFEI earlier in the year?
- Is Rob White the primary City staff person on this?
- How might DCN be involved?
- As UCD is a key, what are their interests and plans?
- Is there a time frame for civic organizing, planning, decisionmaking, contracting or deployment?
- Are there any vested-interest 'shoe-in' entities or concerns to be understood?

I'll stop here.   I look forward to participating and hopefully being of help.
Richard

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute          www.1st-mile.org
P. O.  Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM    87504