[Davisgig] one key step. Was Re: A question

Clark Dodsworth clark at dodsworth.com
Wed Dec 24 16:07:50 PST 2014

Thanks, Larry and Rob, for your thinking and work regarding a city-owned layer 1 & 2 plan.

I listened to presentations by the consulting firm brought in by the city several months ago. It’s viable.

The most important thing (from our perspective) is for the technical community to continuously "be at the table.”

We need to maintain real presence at the various meetings of City staff, consultants, community interest groups, Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Davis, etc., contributing as needed, and to keep the discussants aware of two things:

(1) The benefits, described from an access point of view; the business opportunities that can happen if A is available, and B is built on top of A, etc.  This is partly a technically-informed, solidly-grounded vision, and partly a road map, begun by the consultants, BUT translated by the local technical authorities (very much involving davisgig) into terms that relate directly to the Davis community as a whole.

(2) The technical issues of each step in the decision process, with estimates of their cost in cash, time, and the necessary collaboration, communication, and compromise….so that none are overlooked, to emerge later as higher costs.

All best for the holidays,

-Clark

Clark Dodsworth
 Osage Associates