[Davisgig] Electrical grid as a broadband carrier

Lorenzo Kristov cosimo91 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 09:11:09 PDT 2019

Chattanooga TN is a poster child for municipal broadband installed in conjunction with electric utility communication/control systems. They’ve been up and running for more than a decade with major benefits, including growth of high-tech businesses in the city. The effort was started by the electric utility in order to improve distribution reliability and performance, with city-wide high-speed internet a secondary benefit. There’s lots more info here:

https://ilsr.org/search_gcse/?q=chattanooga

Jim is correct that the path to municipal broadband would be lots easier if VCE takes over PG&E’s electric distribution system. I don’t know if there are examples of cities installing municipal fiber if they don’t already have municipal electric utility.

Stop, be still, and listen.
Because you’re drunk
And we’re at the edge of the roof.
- Rumi