[Davisgig] Fwd: Notes from My Meeting with Mike Webb

Robert Nickerson omrob at omsoft.com
Fri Apr 12 10:14:13 PDT 2019

Hi Folks

One of the people trying to make this happen met with the City Manager
yesterday, and here is a summation of the meeting.  Looks like we have a
PAUSE to the Astound Contract which is great.

The next 6 weeks are CRITICAL to the success of this project. At the
next BATF meeting we will  have to present a more fully developed plan,
we hope the BATF adopts the plan to recommend to City Council. We are
working out a draft of that we will share with you all in the next week
for feedback and comment.  We should be able to pull a list of talking
points from this document we can use to talk with City council, and
community members. We have to turn up a lot of support at whatever City
Council meeting the BATF recommendations will be presented at in May.

Thank you all for coming, and I believe you all, and the other citizens
that came Tuesday and piled together at the Item helped make the
difference here to slow them down.

Here are the notes ...

As scheduled, I met with Mike today. Below are some notes pertaining to
our discussion:

1. I opened by making it clear that I wasn't formally representing any
organization, but noted that my affiliations with both DCN and DavisGig
prompted my interest in the Wave matter.

2. I emphasized the need for the city to allow the BATF process to
conclude before committing unique city resources to a long-term
agreement. Mike said that the city is now on board with that idea, and
that the general sense of CC and staff is that hitting the pause button
on the Wave agreement is appropriate. He acknowledged that the original
staff proposal was a response to similar agreements entered into by both
the City of Woodland and Yolo County. (I wasn't able to find anything on
a Woodland agreement with Wave, but did find that the County approved an
IRU agreement with Wave on 1/29/19. I only skimmed that agreement, but
it appears to be essentially the same as the one that landed on the
Davis consent calendar. I have a copy if anyone wants to see it and
doesn't want to wade through the county website.)

3. Mike understands that the city needs to more thoroughly analyze the
costs and benefits of a deal with Wave. He said that the city might have
to go a year or two paying retail, but noted that $150k a year isn't
that much in the city's budget context. On the other hand, he said that
past efforts to interest Crown Castle and others in leasing city conduit
haven't born fruit.

4. I asked about Comcast use of city conduit, specifically at the Pole
Line and Dave Pelz overcrossings, and whether the city should be
collecting rent on those. Mike said his understanding is that Comcast
elected not to use the city's conduit and decided to bore under instead,
but he wasn't sure. He said there's also conduit under the freeway and
railroad at the east end of the Nishi property (parallel with the bike
undercrossing), and he doesn't think it's occupied.

5. I reiterated my belief that any Wave agreement should require that
Wave pull innerducts, to be owned by the city, into any city conduit
that they use.

6. He volunteered (note to Matt: I didn't bring it up) that the decision
not to lay conduit in L Street was due to the price tag: $250k. It
sounded like a lot to me, but I didn't have any numbers to challenge the
figure.

7. Mike said that consideration of a contract with Lori Raineri would
have to be in response to a formal recommendation from BATF, or possibly
as an offer of assistance initiated by Lori herself. Staff isn't going
to initiate such a contract on its own, it can only respond if something
lands in their lap. They would have to make a finding of city benefit,
but that shouldn't be hard. Mike said he was unfamiliar with Lori's
background.

Thanks All more soon