[Davisgig] Oh No! Another good reason to bury the DavisGIG fiber

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Fri Nov 3 10:35:19 PDT 2017

Hi

All - here is a little light hearted fun for today:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/australias-national-broadband-network-under-relentless-attack-by-cockatoos/

In all seriousness, the draft feasibility study has been made available
to the Broadband Task Force, and it is being analyzed right now. It is
heavy on the business case, and it seems like a very strongly built
network. For any of you that were at the first Fujitsu meeting, where
Bruce described building a 3 9's 4 9's or 5 9's network. This design is
a 5 9's plus. Its got 2 lasers for every house spec'd out, all Active
Ethernet versus PON, so people can all get 10 Gbps, but consequently the
projected cost puts it out of Revenue Bond range.

Now we have been this far, we need your help closing this deal and
getting better broadband options for our city. Davis Community Network
is seeking 2-3 volunteers to join our Board of Directors and help get
this finished off and executed. DavisGIG formally is a committee of the
501c3 non profit - DCN, which is helping our City leaders analyze this
document and decide what to do.

Board terms would begin in 02/2018. The formal time commitment is one
board meeting per month and periodic Friday lunches, but the real work
is helping get a fiber network built and helping the city understand its
options. If you are interested or know of a good person that would be,
please email help at dcn.org.

Take Care

RAN

--