[Davisgig] Broadband Advisory Task Force [BATF] representation/goals

Jeff Mischkinsky jmischki at dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Mar 21 20:17:04 PDT 2016

hi,
 I will be representing DavisSIG on the city’s newly established Broadband Advisory Task Force (BATF)
  First meeting is this wed evening 6:30 at city hall.
See
   http://cityofdavis.org/city-hall/commissions-and-committees/broadband-advisory-task-force
for more information.

Please feel free to email or call me if there is something specific relating to the BATF that you would like to discuss.
Better yet, start a discussion on the davisgig list serve.  Please stick a [BATF] somewhere in the subject line so my filters will catch it.

To start things off, I asked Rob for his opinion on what he thought was important from a DavisGIG POV. I’ve pasted in his response below:

1) Fiber Optic - All homes and business. Built in such a way that its forward looking. Extra capacity at the edges that sort of thing. No limited downtown deployments, no just WiFi

2) Community Owned and Operated

3) Open Access for Multiple companies

4) BATF feel free to access our resources (our wiki, Trello board, volunteer knowledge and skill pool)

5) Please accept a Feasibility Study, paid for by the community though DCN to consider options to present to the council. We can share the link to the RFP for that, and people can edit on it if they wish, but let us get it out so its out quickly. In time for an upcoming conference.

Please feel free to comment/add, etc.

I’ll try to keep the group updated as we go along.

cheers,
  jeff

---
Jeff Mischkinsky