[Davisgig] Missed NSF grant opportunity

Gary Darling gary_darling at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 28 10:46:57 PST 2016

Missed NSF opportunity

I was contacted by the San Diego supercomputer center to collaborate on an NSF “Big Data” grant. The topic was on drought and water in the West. They wanted to utilize information from an interstate web services network grant that I have gotten from EPA. I had just a couple of days to submit a letter of intent. I met the deadline working with the Western States water council and a CS prof at SDSC. Apparently NSF has awarded big data hub grants around the country in the West, hub grants were awarded to SDSC, Berkeley CS and University of Washington CS. I believe that there will be a series of “spoke” grants that will be offered soon. Some of these grants will be for community networks. This would be a perfect opportunity for a place like Davis. If I end up a collaborator on the NSF project I’ll be able to effetely monitor this opportunity.

I had a conversation with city staff on a proposal I was calling “sensible Davis” the project would instal a series of sensors across Davis to help optimize things like water use. For example sprinkler systems could be given guidance based on weather reports and observed temperature.This would cut water use without hurting plants. Staff liked the idea, but once Davis GIG came up it became clear that telemetry should be bundled in with what would become a DCN 2.0 that would consider implications of much faster communications and the social and technical implications of ubiquitous inexpensive sensors connected to that network. Future grant funding will depend on us coming up with innovative ways to use networks we should include new applications in the davis gig work.

http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2016/nsf16510/nsf16510.htm <http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2016/nsf16510/nsf16510.htm>

                                                                —Gary