[Davisgig] Conference + Meeting with NOKIA(Alcatel/Lucent) + Send in a Letter + BIG Dog Party

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Tue Apr 12 16:07:48 PDT 2016

Hi Davisites

1) CONFERENCE - Back from the Broadband Connected Communities Summit in
Austin TX. It did not disappoint.  Had my brain so packed full of fiber
optic info, that by the end of it I couldn't process any new input.

The short of it is, what we are doing, is being thoroughly explored and
pursued by other municipalities all over the USA. There is tangible
excitement in this convention, like a great movement is afoot. The
models being developed to deploy and operate these networks are changing
city by city and month by month. Its a very active area, with lots of
flexibility as to the best model for your particular deployment.   My
main objective there was  to get a reality check about these sorts of
networks at all levels, meet all the vendors, and to shop around our RFP
for the Feasibility Study. Met with success on all counts.

A big thank you to one of the DavisGIG list members whom I met there,
who happened to facilitate some key introductions. A big thank you to
everyone who donated to send me there, I took a full half of my travel,
hotel and conference expenses from donations raised by community members
supporting DavisGIG.

Here are some people that I talked to who are very interested in the
success of our project:

Florence Hudson - CIO of Internet2
Doug Dawson - President CCG Consulting
Craig Settles - Author Building the Gigabit City, Gigabit Consultant
John Paul - CEO Spiral Internet
Chris Frost - Network Operations CruzIO
James Hackett - Business Development CruzIO
Courtney Violette - VP Magellan Advisors
David Russell - Director Solutions Marketing Calix
Drew Clark - Best Best Krieger
Scott Bradshaw - President SiFi Networks
Adam Noll - FTS Fiber
Michael Brayen - Senior Director FTTH Sales Alcatel Lucent

I was able to meet a good variety of vendors and see some encouraging
product developments. I'll put my notes up on the wiki as I have time
and capability.

The closest muni, I found to our proposed model, is Ammon, ID. So worth
following up with them especially.

2) MEETING - Out of the meeting made contacts with NOKIA's community
fiber broadband team. This team came from Alcatel/Lucent, which means
Bell Labs, so this is the best European and American talent in this
space. This group does the hardware in both Lafayette and Chattanooga,
and I'm sure you all know about there R+D commitment and acumen.

  They are working with Santa Cruz, and on 4/19 they are meeting with
the City of Concord. All three members of their team will be around the
morning of 4/20 at 9am  to introduce their product line, plus help us
flush out a business case. Their team members are  lead, engineer and
finance.  They want to meet us, and get a chance to be involved in our
project. They will be spending a couple-few hours with us before they
head North and will whiteboard their solutions and  how we can get to
our goal.

  I'll have bagels and coffee at the Davis MAKERSPACE, see
www.davismakerspace.org  its at 4/20 at 9am and would like to invite
anyone from the group to attend and meet this fantastic team. Please
RSVP so I can get a head count.

3)  CALL TO ACTION  - You've been on this list for a year, you are
patiently waiting to break ground and get a fiber to your house. One of
the major takeaways from this conference is that, these projects take an
immense amount of political will, and citizen effort to succeed. I thank
you all for being part of that, but warn you there is a long road ahead
to a successful conclusion, and we are at one of those points that
require  community effort to succeed. We need 15-20 minutes of your time
to:

  - Write up a letter about why you think we need a community owned
gigabit FTTP network, what it means to you, and what challenges you face
in the current Internet Access marketplace.  Send it to the Staff
representative of the Broadband Advisory Task Force,
dparro at cityofdavis.org and CC help at dcn.org.

- Donate! Donate! and then give a little more. We need to collect $150k
to fund the Feasibility Study.  Think about how important this is. Its
not just a better Internet connection. What is happening now, all over
the US, is communities are taking back control of the MOST IMPORTANT
economic INFRASTRUCTURE used for every aspect of business,
communications, quality of life, and community development, from for
profit mega-corporations.  Not only are you seeing to better service for
your household, you are helping your community flourish, and
establishing a much needed revenue stream for your City. There really is
no more important effort we could do to see to our city's future than
this project.  So please give and generously.

Here is a link you can donate at:

http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/welcome/about/support

4) PARTY - The Sudwerk DOCK is having a special event fundraiser party
for all the community non profits participating in the BIG Day of
Giving, happening on the same day. It is open from 5-8pm.  We should all
plan to come together and celebrate our efforts over  the past year,
have a beer, and congratulate all our community non-profits
participating in this fantastic event.

Thanks Everyone, and hope to see as many of you as we can on Wed April
20th, and Tuesday May 3rd.

Rob Nickerson

Community Networking Advocate
President Davis Community Network