[Davisgig] Important - Financial Estimates Required

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Wed Sep 30 09:18:39 PDT 2015

"""
I'd be using an estimate of 33% of homes/businesses taking up the fiber
network,
does anyone think that number is out of line?
"""

I would love to see us doing something like Google, which offers a free
(monthly) low-level tier for the cost of finalizing the connection. I also
think that would help justify the base buildout as something everyone pays
for.

We wouldn't need it to be free, but that low tier should be very
inexpensive so that we can make progress on digital divide issues.

That should enhance the "take" rate, though the revenue from higher
bandwidth users would need to provide the payback and profit for the city.

Another argument for having everyone help pay for the base buildout: we're
likely to end up using this network for everything from water-meter reading
up. Not to mention the fact that it adds to the values of everyone's
property -- not just those who buy a gig.