[Davisgig] Today's Meeting with Fujitsu Network Communications

rob rob at omsoft.com
Fri Sep 4 20:21:05 PDT 2015

Hi Davisites

Very good meeting today on the effort.  Well represented by City staff,
Mayor Pro Tem, UC1D CR Operations, and DavisGIG advocates.

This was a sales pitch buy a very large and accomplished vendor in the
area with an offer backed by big capital funds. However, it was an
affirmation that we are on the right track with our plan, and I think it
soundly demonstrated to all present that these networks are being built
and deployed by big business for municipalities

Many of the operational points are congruent with our model, present on
the wiki.

http://wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us/~help/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=fiberrfei.pdf

The city gets an asset, there is a wholesale entity that operates the
network and leases access to it to providers.

FNC thinks we might broker access to different content providers, like a
netflix or hulu directly, but we will lease access to ISP, Video and
Phone providers,.

The city pays for it but gets back revenue through the whole sale
provider's lease fees to ISPs.

They offered complete design, build, and operate services for this
network, that would then be open access to ISPs. Downside is they charge
thousands of dollars per address per year. For 30 years. So yeah - these
larger institutions with access to this type of financing and build out
expertise are charging a premium.
Then it would become the property of the city after 30 years if it made
the payments. to JPMorganChase/Goldman/McQuarrie Capital whomever big
finance is for there implementation.

They just completed a project for Taos New Mexico, and I know McQuarrie
Capital is involved closely with the Utah fiber build out "Utopia"

So way more money than just what a build out would cost. However, I'm
sure it would work as advertised, and some people were impressed with a
24-36 month build out. They did say that as long as they get paid
though, they wouldn't mind "where it came from" leaving it open to other
sources of revenue.

There are other vendors to meet with, offering similar services, and a
volunteer present at the meeting informed us of a good local contact who
has been part of building out fiber optic networks in New England for
municipalities, that gave a from the hit quote in line with the
estimates we have come up with.

Perhaps the best outcome was City, and UCD staff taking the concept
seriously enough to make time to attend this talk, in light of other
scheduling conflicts.

Word from City is that perhaps sooner than later a Task Force will be
put together to advise the council as to the best course of action, ala
what GD has said happened with the start of DCN at multiple DavisGIG
meetings.

Onward! and I'll be calling a next steps Central Committee Meeting for
the first Wed in October.

RAN

Can someone tweet about this?

P.S. Anyone else who was there have anything to add?