[Davisgig] Thoughts on "why the average user needs this"

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Tue Mar 31 18:17:37 PDT 2015

On 03/31/2015 05:26 PM, Steve McMahon wrote:
[snip]
> the competing open-access providers may offer different packages to
> consumers vs business, but the infrastructure cost is the same.

Infrastructure costs the same, so we should charge the same.  After all we are
talking only about running fiber+infrastructure and allowing ISPs to buy access.

> That said, this does really affect how we look at municipal financing. If a
> tax is based on living units, that would leave businesses out. If we had to

I believe the proposed tax is based on parcels, of which there are 30,000 in
davis, 6,000 owned by businesses.  There seemed to be very little flexibility on
this because of the restrictions on how the city can raise funds for a project
like this.

> If municipal infrastructure was financed by a city bond, paid back via
> monthly charges for those using the service, then there's no economic
> reason for charging businesses differently for their part of the fixed
> costs.

Right, so business parcel tax is the same as the rest.  They might well pay ISPs
more for a business class connection to get better support, reverse DNS, larger
bandwidth quotas, more IP addresses, VPN access, etc.