[Davisgig] Thoughts on "why the average user needs this"

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Tue Mar 31 18:15:47 PDT 2015

Other pain points, besides the mentioned upstream bandwidth:

1) Monthly bills that increase several times a year and can double over 2 years,
unless you complain

2)  Access policies that prohibit sharing your internet

3) Low quotas enforced randomly.  Comcast lists 250GB, but that it's not
currently enforced.  At my download rate (100mbit) you can run that out in 3
hours.  My wife, kid, and I currently are using around 300GB a month (301 in
Jan, 306GB in Feb).  Even with zero torrenting and zero file sharing I often
exceed 300GB a month.  Our network use includes a 2 desktops, a tablet, 2 smart
phones, and a roku.  Things like an xbox, steam account (gaming), video
conf/hangouts, video skype, or even consumer electronics can trigger substantial
bandwidth usage.  One evening the #1 user of bandwidth in my home was my stereo,
downloading a firmware update.  Comcast is currently testing overage charges in
test markets, currently around $10 per 50GB.  That's pretty pricey when a single
game download for the PS4 can use 40GB.

4)  Holding users hostage, promising fast access to "the internet".  Then
comcast turns around and cripples the network connection to netflix.  For awhile
the best way to watch netflix was to VPN elsewhere, just to get the bandwidth
you paid for.

5) horrible customer service

The reasons for the above are primarily a result of a lack of choice.  With
competition consumers can expect better service, more flexibility, lower
pricing, and offerings tailored more for your needs.

Comcast is one of the worst hated companies in the USA, the reason they get away
with it is because in most markets there's no competition.