[Davisgig] Thoughts on "why the average user needs this"

Wes Hardaker wes at hardakers.net
Mon Mar 30 14:58:41 PDT 2015

I'm a geek, I run lots of stuff from my house and I know there has been
discussions that this is not good enough for the average user.  So I've
been thinking a lot about this and thinking about why does the average
person might want a super fast network.  Then I started thinking of the
kids (those kids that stand on my lawn all day).

The one huge thing that has been taking off lately is the usage of
uploading video content to youtube, vimeo, etc.  But it's not just
video-streaming for hangouts/skype/etc (which you can do over a minimal
connection).  It's high quality videos of screen-sharing videos that
kids are creating that take forever to upload.  For example, my son
has created a bunch of minecraft tutorials and even though the videos
themselves were only 10-20 minutes long, he complained greatly when he
learned they'd take an hour each to upload or so.  And I have about the
fastest DSL rate you can get to my house.  And he's not the only
teen-ager doing this kind of thing.  It seems to be fairly popular to do
right now and would be a good data point for our efforts here.

And I suspect more and more of the population will be doing these sort
of things, like recording and uploading family videos, etc.  And having
to tie up the connection for hours is just frustrating.  One way to lead
the pack is to advertise that we could enable long distance connection
sharing and family history archiving better via the new speeds.

...  random thoughts

--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:       http://capturedonearth.com/