[Davisgig] City Staff Lunch

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Wed Mar 25 20:38:16 PDT 2015

Interesting lunch.  I wasn't taking notes, corrections welcome.

My read is that City of Davis wants this to happen.  If we can generate
the demand and sell it to the community they will do what is needed on
their end.  If it's not our proposal. it's likely to be something else
that meets similar goals.

Depending on how the proposal is written, to be passed it needs either
50% or 66% of the votes.

They mentioned that there are 24,000 or so residential parcels in Davis
and 6,000 or so business.  They also mentioned that 3-5 year projects
seem best, and that the project should be self sufficient after that
period.  So it's a one time tax, not forever.

I found this URL:
http://www.businessinsider.com/t30e-cost-of-building-google-fiber-2013-4

This URL claims that google brought internet, fiber, and tv to 149,000
homes for $84M.  Scaled to 30,000 parcels that's $17M, assuming we can
do so at the same cost per household.

Other data points are needed, but certainly sounds like $30M or less is
a reasonable estimate.  $30M / (30,000 parcels * 5 years) = $200 a year
per parcel.    Of course less would be an easier sell to the voters.