[Davisgig] Davis City Council Meeting

Larry Dieterich ls at whitewavedigital.com
Wed Mar 4 15:39:07 PST 2015

On Mar 4, 2015, at 3:18 PM, Gary Darling <gary_darling at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> A few thoughts…
>
> 1. We need to follow up with city staff. We could just invite whoever was tasked to follow up to Sudwerk to speak with us.
> 2. I would not assume that ATT and Comcast were enemies in our language or actions. e.g we can say that we want “even faster and more reliable network service”.
> 3. We are creating infrastructure that will create an even playing field for all, we are facilitating competition.
> 4. We are encouraging innovation with this initiative, Davis is a research community - innovation drives our economy and is a part of our identity

I was at a luncheon today where I spoke briefly today with Robb Davis (city mayor pro tem) about the broadband resolution at City Council meeting last night.

I was keen to raise the issue of customer service/tech support to the needs addressed by any initiative. I think this is something with which everyone will resonate; most customers of ATT or Comcast have experienced poor quality phone support.

Council member Davis understood the issue and told me that the next step in this process will likely be the formation of a task force to perform analysis and make recommendations. He indicated that the task force would be a good place to get these sorts of issues included.

He seemed to think that we have enough tech expertise in Davis that we shouldn't need Magellan Partners to do much.

I plan to come to the meeting at Sudwerk tonight.

- Larry