[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 7/7

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Jul 7 09:32:12 PDT 2015

 *Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the *
*Institute for Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear
at bottom.  Send feedback.  Forward Widely.*

*We are excited to now have an index of all our podcasts (158 now) as well
as transcripts for most of them! Check out the full listing of our
conversations on Community Broadband Bits here
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-bits-podcast-index>.*

KC Fiber Innovates in North Kansas City - Community Broadband Bits Episode
157
<http://muninetworks.org/content/kc-fiber-innovates-north-kansas-city-community-broadband-bits-episode-157>
Tue, June 30, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/kc-fiber-innovates-north-kansas-city-community-broadband-bits-episode-157>

Every now and then, we stumble across something
<http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article2144253.html>,
read it twice, and then decide we need to verify it. In North Kansas City,
a municipal fiber network operating in partnership with KC Fiber
<http://linkcity.org/>, is delivering a gig to residents at no ongoing
charge after a reasonable one-time fee.

To get the story, our interview this week for Community Broadband Bits is
with Brooks Brown, Managing Partner of KC Fiber. KC Fiber is now running
the North Kansas City municipal fiber network, liNKCity.

The network delivers a free gigabit to the schools and after a one-time fee
of $50-$300 (depending on desired connection capacity) residents can get a
high quality fiber Internet connection with no additional charges for 10
years.

KC Fiber is not your ordinary ISP, coming from the data center world where
it does business as Data Shack. We discuss how this background makes it
easier for KC Fiber to offer the gigabit at no ongoing cost in our
interview.

... Listen to the Show
<http://muninetworks.org/content/kc-fiber-innovates-north-kansas-city-community-broadband-bits-episode-157>
... Read the Transcript
<http://muninetworks.org/content/transcript-community-broadband-bits-episode-157>

City and School Board Partner for Fiber in Maryland
<http://muninetworks.org/content/city-and-school-board-partner-fiber-maryland>
Wed, July 01, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/city-and-school-board-partner-fiber-maryland>

Cumberland and the Allegany Board of Education are collaborating to improve
educational, municipal, and business connectivity in the city's downtown
area,reports GovTech
<http://www.govtech.com/dc/articles/Cumberland-Md-and-County-School-Board-Collaborate-on-High-Speed-Broadband-.html>
.

The district's 23 schools are all connected, but the Maintenance and
Facilities Warehouse is not yet connected. The location of the facility and
the proposed fiber route will create an ideal opportunity to install fiber
in a commercial corridor where ISPs can tap into the infrastructure, notes
Cumberland's economic development coordinator Shawn Hershberger:

“It will expand upon the solid resources we already have and make us more
competitive for future economic development projects,” said Hershberger

... Get More Details Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/city-and-school-board-partner-fiber-maryland>

KeepBTLocal Working on Plan to Purchase BT
<http://muninetworks.org/content/keepbtlocal-working-plan-purchase-bt>
Tue, June 30, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/keepbtlocal-working-plan-purchase-bt>

Burlingtonians love their municipal network. We have reported in the past
that, prior to the sale of the network to Blue Water LLC, a group of locals
organized to create the KeepBTLocal cooperative
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/coop-status-burlington-telecom-maybe>.
Recently, the organization reaffirmed its commitment to purchase the
network when it goes up for sale, a condition of the Blue Water LLC
transaction.

A customer satisfaction survey in April revealed that BT customers are more
than twice as satisfied with their provider as those obtaining service from
competitors. The VTDigger reported survey results
<http://vtdigger.org/2015/06/04/burlington-telecom-receives-high-marks-in-customer-survey/>
:

· 87% customer satisfaction with BT’s Customer Service;

· 24% of customers chose BT’s services after being recommended by a friend
or family member; and

· General impression of BT by non-BT customers saw a 10% “positive”
increase over their 2014 impression.

... Read the Full Coverage Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/keepbtlocal-working-plan-purchase-bt>

Last-Mile FTTH Via Nonprofit Networks in New York State
<http://muninetworks.org/content/last-mile-ftth-nonprofit-networks-new-york-state>
Thu, July 02, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/last-mile-ftth-nonprofit-networks-new-york-state>

Western New York residents are welcoming the presence of a new Internet
service provider, Empire Access <http://www.empireaccess.com/>, competing
directly with Time Warner Cable and Verizon. Besides satisfied customers,
no data caps, and no usage-based billing, Empire is different from the
incumbents in another way - it uses nonprofit network infrastructure to
deliver services.

StopTheCap writes
<http://stopthecap.com/2015/06/10/empire-access-expands-fiber-to-the-home-service-across-western-n-y-southern-tier/>
that
Empire Access utilizes the Southern Tier Network
<http://www.southerntiernetwork.org/> (STN) to connect to communities in
Steuben, Chemung, and Schuyler Counties in its southern service area. STN's
235-mile backbone was deployed
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/three-counties-new-york-building-southern-tier-network>
 when fiber-optic <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term10>manufacturer
Corning contributed $10 million to build the network and the three counties
contributed the remaining $2.2 million. Construction on the open access
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term625> network was finished in the
spring of 2014.

... Good News for Rural Communities and Small ISPs ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/last-mile-ftth-nonprofit-networks-new-york-state>

Chattanooga Video Explains Potential Gigabit Expansion Process
<http://muninetworks.org/content/chattanooga-video-explains-potential-gigabit-expansion-process>
Mon, June 29, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>

Following up on our post last week noting the new video from Tennessee
Fiber Optic Communities
<http://muninetworks.org/content/tennessee-fiber-optic-communities-video-gig-freedom>,
another video recently posted explains what needs to change in Tennessee law
<https://vimeo.com/123418658> for Chattanooga to expand Internet access
beyond the current footprint. EPB Chief Operating Officer David Wade also
explains the process the municipal electric distributor will use to connect
nearby communities.

... Watch the Video Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/chattanooga-video-explains-potential-gigabit-expansion-process>

Growing Interest in Dark Fiber and Pricing Details
<http://muninetworks.org/content/growing-interest-dark-fiber-and-pricing-details>
Wed, July 01, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/growing-interest-dark-fiber-and-pricing-details>

Dark fiber is a growing business for both private and publicly owned
networks. Data transport, data centers, ILECs, and CLECs are some of the
most common users. Increasingly, wireless providers are turning to dark
fiber for backhaul <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term812>.

A May Fierce Telecom article reports
<http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/zayo-sees-dark-fiber-wireless-backhaul-demand-ramping/2015-05-14>that
14 percent of Zayo's wireless backhaul services are dark fiber solutions:

"We're seeing a shift with wireless backhaul contracts to dark fiber to the
tower and we're starting to see that show up as the trend over the last
couple of quarters," [Chairman and CEO Dan] Caruso said … "And you see it
more pronounced in the current quarter where 14 percent of our product mix
for fiber to the tower is dark fiber to the tower and you see that's grown
and taken on a bigger piece of the pie."

... Learn More About Dark Fiber Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/growing-interest-dark-fiber-and-pricing-details>

Community Broadband Media Roundup - July 6
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-july-6>
Mon, July 06, 2015 | Posted by rebecca
<http://muninetworks.org/users/rebecca>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-july-6>

*California*

Santa Cruz partners with local internet provider for next-gen Internet
<http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/business/20150625/santa-cruz-partners-with-local-internet-provider-for-next-gen-internet>
by
Jessica York, Santa Cruz SentinelMaine

*Maine*

Maine Gov. Paul LePage Vetoes State Broadband Fund
<http://www.govtech.com/network/Maine-Gov-Paul-LePage-Vetoes-State-Broadband-Fund.html>
by
Colin Wood, GovTech

*New York*

Audit Reveals Verizon Tried To Corner NYC Broadband Market By Striking
Exclusive Landlord Deals
<https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150628/08022631484/audit-reveals-verizon-tried-to-corner-nyc-broadband-market-striking-exclusive-landlord-deals.shtml>by
Karl Bode, TechDirt

Verizon's refusing to serve millions of people, but making it impossible
for anyone else to do so either. If you've followed the municipal broadband
debate, that's effectively the same logic the mega-ISPs have displayed on a
national level, and this kind of behavior by incumbent ISPs (especially if
you watched the ILEC/CLEC wars of the late 90s and early aughts) is a major
contributor to the nation's utterly mediocre rankings in most broadband
metrics.

 ... Read the Full Roundup Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-july-6>

--