[Davisgig] Bill Broadley's Comments

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Tue Jan 13 20:37:52 PST 2015

On 1/6/2015 10:49 AM, Shneor Sherman wrote:
> Bill, I appreciate your response. However, it does not address the question: Where is the direct benefit to homeowners? An extra $5000 value to a half-million dollar home is inconsequential. How many homeowners want to be content providers or maintain a website on their own? I suspect very few. If we are talking about schools and libraries, it's far cheaper to provide lines only to those entities.
>
> I'm pretty sure that this will require an initiative, though the City Council could act on its own. To get votes, voters will have to see direct benefits. What might those be?
>
> Shneor Sherman

Hi Shneor and All

Its great that we have a chance, with this open forum, to discover what
we need to convey in this effort to make it politically palatable for
eveyryone and successful in its execution. The homeowners will be paying
  for the municipal owned fiber. I'd think they would pay a monthly fee,
and Im throwing out $20 monthly as a guesstimate - with the 20k
households figure in mind.

They will be paying for access to the wholesale/transport layer, the
actual physical muni fiber "transport" portion of their
telecommunications. And then the homeowner will contract with a
seperate, what I call "retail" service provider that will offer tiers
(100 Mbps, 500 Mbps, 1 Gbps) of service all off this network. A good
example is  Ashland Oregon, though with modern tech.

I would think the homeowners costs would come out about AT Least the
same in  cost to what you would pay for some triple play bundle deal
from the du-opoly, and  for gigabit speeds here.

But personally I think in your case, if  you think 5 Mbps is fine you
will be better off with this model!

If you decided never to buy Internet, or TV, or phone over this
municipal broadband network you would still get for your $20 monthly:

1) 100 Mbps of "speed" locally. That means within the network, you could
transfer files at that speed between, home to home, home to office,
business to business, home to school. And say to the University (which
might even want more and pay some portion of our network cost, thereby
subsidizing the netwrok but so students could transfer at Gigabit to
campus. That could help us get it deployed to outlying areas)

2) 3 Mbps Internet Access - Some small amount of IP transit to the
Internet as a whole, I was thinking 3 Mbps, but perhaps 6Mbps is fine.
This also helps the city address digital divide issues by subsidizing
some of these connections, say to more unfortuante  and lower income
apartment complexes and neighborhoods.

3) City of Davis gets a city wide Smartgrid Capability for any utility
or water management systems. With simple already available network
monitoring protocols, some of which were developed AT UCDAVIS, it would
allow for many research and development opportunities for UCD  and all
for growing manangement challenges of the next 20 years

And here is what you could do with your Gigabit speed.

You could hang out on youtube and download complete video operas, burn
them onto BlueRays and send them as holiday gifts, or  donate them to
libraries.