[Davisgig] Rob's Proposal

Fei Li flcli at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 6 10:47:02 PST 2015

I think Bill brought up a good point in the other thread:
"Consulting found that fiber optic internet adds roughly $5,250 to the value of a $300,000 home."

Additionally:
"British study found that people in London are willing to pay 8 percent above market prices for homes and apartments that have high speed internet."

If the past has been any indicator, maintaining home values is something Davis homeowners fight fiercely for. Increasing home values would be an even more attractive prospect.

Homeowners that intend to rent their homes out could advertise this. So could apartment complexes.

We also don't have to provide only a single tier of gigabit. If 100 mbps is all you want, then you can subscribe to that level of service for cheaper than you would for 1 gbps.

Yes, we do need to think of attractive reasons for why anyone would *need* 1 gbps down. But we also can't ignore everything else that *municipal fiber* comes with.