[Davisgig] California’s ambitious fiber-Internet plan approved unanimously by legislature

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Sat Jul 17 20:45:58 PDT 2021

I should wait for Davisites to respond, but I am compelled to say
that this is excellent news, including the unanimous legislative vote.

Sunne Wright McPeak, President and CEO of the California Emerging
Technology Fund (CETF), has been at this for almost 15 years.  She
formerly headed the Bay Area Council.  I met and briefly worked with
her back in 2005, and recognized her as among the most capable people
I'd ever worked with.  I suspect that she played a major behind-the-
scenes role in shaping this initiative, with close ties to the Biden
Administration.

I left Davis and DCN 15 years ago, to attempt this model in New Mexico.
An open fiber middle-mile network, available to be transport for any
service provider, connecting to a variety of 'first mile' networks and
providers (landline and wireless).  Public-private partnering and
community ownership of local infrastructure, helps to make the economic
model work for all.   Bottom-up meets top-down.   Win-win.
Well, not quite that easy.

All network best,
RL

On 2021-07-17 16:05, John Steggall wrote:
> Would be curious to hear people's thoughts on this...
> California’s ambitious fiber-Internet plan approved unanimously by
> legislature
> CA to build middle-mile network open to all ISPs and give $2B in
> last-mile grants.
> https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/07/california-passes-historic-plan-for-statewide-open-access-fiber-network/
>
> -js

Richard Lowenberg