[Davisgig] [Davisgig-announce] Links to Documents for BROADBAND ADVISORY TASK FORCE MEETING

Matthews Williams mattwill at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 27 17:09:41 PDT 2019

 I believe what Brandon has asked in bold is an open question.  That question will be very actively part of the Task Force discussion tonight.  The following recommended motion was prepared by the BATF subcommittee (Jeff Mischkinsky, Lorenzo Kristov and myself, with help from three other citizens/experts).

The BATF Subcommitteerecommends that the BATF adopt the following or a similar motion to the CityCouncil at its March 27, 2019 meeting:

“TheBATF recommends that the City Council defer action on Staff’s proposed Astoundcontract and direct Staff to work with the BATF or a designated subcommitteethereof to, at a minimum:

“(1)Have the City Finance Director perform a detailed financial analysis of theproposed Astound contract;

“(2)Assess the potential impacts of the proposed Astound contract on the viabilityof and support for a City-owned broadband network that can serve all Davisresidents and businesses;

“(3)Identify and comparatively assess alternatives, including an option whereby theCity owns and controls all fiber capacity in City conduit and leases shares ofcapacity on an open-access basis to third-party ISPs and content providers;

“(4)Since the Comcast contract has expired, determine the amount of costs or feesthe City could face for continuing to use the existing Comcast fiber until analternative can be implemented; and

“(5)Examine the terms of the recently expired Comcast contract to determinewhat legal rights Comcast has to continue to use the City conduit and whatfair-market fees the City could be receiving from Comcast for such use.

“TheBATF also recommends that the City Council direct Staff to consult with theBATF and provide an opportunity for a BATF recommendation to City Council priorto bringing the proposed or a revised Astound contract or an alternative toCity Council for approval.”

The BATF Subcommittee also recommends thatthe BATF extend the charge of this subcommittee for the purpose ofcollaborating with City Staff on the above items.