[Davisgig] DavisGIG is on the ropes and is about to be knocked out at the next meeting TOMORROW NIGHT 3/27 6:30 pm city chambers

Douglas A. Walter dawalter at dcn.org
Tue Mar 26 21:30:43 PDT 2019

Did everybody see the two PDF docs from the BATF that Rob shared? I'm still trying to digest them, but based on what we've previously discussed, here is my suggested letter/message text:

If you are willing to take a moment to contact the Broadband Advisory Task Force as part of public comment to their meeting tomorrow night, please write to:
Broadband Advisory Task Force chair:
Chris Clements <clements at ucdavis.edu>

City staff to Broadband Advisory Task Force:
Diane Parro <dparro at cityofdavis.org>
Sarah Worley <sworley at cityofdavis.org>

City Clerk:
Zoe Mirabile <zmirabile at cityofdavis.org>

Feel free to tag a City Council member's FB page if you do so.

Sample letter:

Hi,

I am concerned about news that the City of Davis may invite a major private carrier to install fiber optic infrastructure using City-owned conduit as a start to their system. I am against giving away infrastructure we own without assessing how much it is worth! I would prefer to see the Broadband Advisory Task Force recommend that the City continue exploring the proposal developed by your subcommittee.

It would:

* Provide the city with its own broadband resources
* Allow competition to develop
* Guarantee privacy in Internet connections for business and homes
* Give our schools, city, and public facilities internet access for a one time cost

There are no guarantees that a major carrier will honor privacy, net neutrality or address issues from the digital divide. Please do not derail a process that could result in a municipal or cooperative ownership of a City-wide gigabit fiber network!

Thanks,

Your Name Here

Doug Walter (home account)
dawalter at dcn.org