[Davisgig] Dueling OpEd's in the Enterprise

Matthews Williams mattwill at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 4 10:23:33 PDT 2019

 Thank you for the response Eric.  Enjoy your evening.
I wasn't here when Davis Community Cable happened, so any thoughts I have are anecdotal based on what people have volunteered to tell me.  Their belief is that Davis Community Cable was not a success during its relatively brief lifetime.  Some believe that while it was not a success during its tenure, it did establish a cable foundation that lived on and expanded after the Comcast acquisition.  So, qualified failure.
With that said, it is also my understanding that Davis Community Cable was a consumer initiative, much like the Davis Food CoOp, and stayed in the private sector.  That is very different from what is being considered for Municipal Fiber.  The consultant's feasibility study conclusions essentially confirmed that that approach was/is a non-starter.  The Water Utility that serves the City and surrounding neighborhoods is much closer to what has been considered by the BATF.  Is the Davis Water Utility considered successful or a failure?  The Wastewater/Sewer Utility also fits that model. Is the Davis Wastewater/Sewer Utility considered successful or a failure?

The proposed agreement that staff and Wave put forward to Council would produce $0 (zero dollars) of revenue, but it would result in the avoidance of $76,000 a year in cost for the City.  The City was giving Wave the license to market its services from the proposed ring in exchange for the $76,000.
If other Municipal Fiber cities are useful as example templates, any and all service providers (Wave, Comcast, AT&T, etc) would be able to deliver their services over the City network for an annual license fee.  Unlike current packages like "Triple Play," future packages from those licensed service providers would not include an Internet connectivity component.  So, my somewhat educated suspicion is that property taxes/licenses don't produce much of a bias either way.
I have no knowledge to be able to answer your last question.