[Davisgig] Dueling OpEd's in the Enterprise

Larry Dieterich ls at whitewavedigital.com
Mon Jun 3 11:32:22 PDT 2019

On Jun 2, 2019, at 1:41 PM, Matthews Williams <mattwill at pacbell.net<mailto:mattwill at pacbell.net>> wrote:

The e-mail address to reach all five at once is citycouncilmembers at cityofdavis.org<http://citycouncilmembers@cityofdavis.org/>

I just sent this note to the citycouncil email address:

Davis has a legacy of pioneering good ideas (curbside recycling, greenbelts, bike lanes) and none of these were without financial risk. The Davisgig effort is a good example of what makes Davis special; intelligent citizen activism and creative thinking.

The importance of network connectivity is only increasing. It’s been compared to roads already. I’m comparing it to water. Trusting a corrupt duopoly to equitably provide an essential public service is naive.

I ask the Davis City Council to refrain from scuttling the Davisgig effort. There has been a lot of good work done here, and it warrants further evaluation with a cool head.

It doesn’t cost us anything to keep our options open.

Larry Dieterich