[Davisgig] what about overhead fiber?

Jim Frame jhframe at dcn.org
Tue Jul 23 16:30:53 PDT 2019

I have no expertise in this area, but here are some considerations that
I believe are germane:

1.  Hanging fiber from poles is less expensive than running it through
new buried conduit.

2.  Hung fiber is much more susceptible to damage than buried fiber,
thus maintenance costs are higher.

3.  The laws and politics pertaining to pole access is tricky, and the
pole owners can make it expensive to gain access by means of their
permit process (e.g., permit agreements, site meetings, construction
inspections).

4.  Despite all of the above, hung fiber works fine unless damaged.