[Davisgig] Orbital Angular Momentum for Light + More ATT FTTH construction in Davis + Pessimism

help at dcn.org help at dcn.org
Wed Oct 24 16:47:16 PDT 2018

Hi

1) This is great news for fiber optic!

"It fits the scale of existing fiber technology and could be applied to
increase the bandwidth, or potentially the processing speed, of that
fiber by over 100 times within the next couple of years. This easy
scalability and the massive impact it will have on telecommunications is
what's so exciting."

Read more at:
https://phys.org/news/2018-10-groundbreaking-technology-times-faster-internet-harnessing.html#jCp

  "It fits the scale of existing fiber technology and could be applied
to increase the bandwidth, or potentially the processing speed, of that
fiber by over 100 times within the next couple of years. This easy
scalability and the massive impact it will have on telecommunications is
what's so exciting."

https://phys.org/news/2018-10-groundbreaking-technology-times-faster-internet-harnessing.html

2)  ATT is now deploying Fiber to the Home in other parts of Davis.
Notably Sycamore and 8th, perhaps others. If anyone has any intel on
neighborhoods let us know. This is good for our community and  we
welcome it. However, a community owned fiber optic network is still
preferable for a variety of reasons. We now have better broadband
options coming, which is somethign we set out to do in 2015.

3) A phone survey is forthcoming to asses interest among the community
for investing in community owned and operated telecommunications
infrastructure.  This will be a somewhat complicated survey, and we hope
that consumer response is genuine and constructive.  Does anyone have
any specific thoughts for or against sending out a postal flat to all
the residents of Davis, educating  about the possibility of having
community fiber and to be ready for this survey ? DavisGIG could use
some of its collected funds to raise awareness, and it could be timed
with the phone survey.

I will try and find out from City staff when the survey will take place.
Its unclear to me if the canceled BATF meeting means the survey will be
postponed.

Take Care

RAN