[Davisgig] 5G coming to Sacramento big Verizon fiber build

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Thu Jun 1 10:11:41 PDT 2017

HI Folks -

Looks like a big collaboration between Verizon and City of Sacramento
getting access to municipal conduit and facilities for 5G. I see a lot
of our DavisGIG economic development and usage language here.

Boy it would be great if the City owned the fiber, conduit and
everything to be able to provide a cell phone company light pole access.

Here is a letter I just sent to Robb and Brett - if you all know the
other council members please share.

Hi Robb and Brett

If we can get a  DavisGIG style fiber network, the City will be in a
great position to lease conduit, and dark fiber! to cell phone providers
that want to deploy 5G.  I think it will be a great, long term revenue
source for the City.

See this:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article153716914.html

"According to the memo, the deal could bring residents free wifi in 27
parks for five years; digital kiosks with free lightning-fast service;
traffic signals connected and controlled by a main city brain; and
police cameras that can follow subjects.

Verizon would build a fiber-optic backbone capable of supporting
bandwidth-hungry new technologies. Steinberg said that would boost
economic development by attracting companies eager to test products that
rely on fast wireless connections – such as self-driving cars."

I'm encouraging you both to have the city invest in and own these fiber
assets, that is where the long term value is. Community builds it,
revenues stay with the community, Verizon builds it, you get great
facilities, but all the revenue goes to Verizon.

The Feasibility Study might not examine this particular model directly,
DavisGIG, because its something locally developed, but please trust in
your community members!

If you want to discuss or meet let me know.

Thx

RAN

--
Robert Nickerson