[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks ... Week of 9/20

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Sep 20 10:25:47 PDT 2016

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the **Institute for
Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear at bottom.  Send
feedback.  Forward Widely.*

Wilson Forced to Turn Off Service to Pinetops
<https://muninetworks.org/content/wilson-forced-turn-service-pinetops>
Fri, September 16, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/wilson-forced-turn-service-pinetops>

Last night, Wilson’s City Council voted to halt Greenlight Internet service
to thecommunity of Pinetops <http://pinetopsnc.publishpath.com/>, North
Carolina. City leaders, faced with the unfortunatereversal of the FCC’s
preemption
<https://muninetworks.org/content/sixth-circuit-court-appeals-reverses-fcc-disappointing-ruling>
of
harmful state anti-muni laws, felt the move was necessary to protect the
utility. Service will stop at the end of October.

*No Other Solution*

Before the vote City Manager Grant Goings told the Wilson Times
<http://wilsontimes.com/stories/Greenlight-likely-to-disconnect-Pinetops,72844>
:

“Unfortunately, there is a very real possibility that we will have to
disconnect any customer outside our county. That is the cold, hard truth,”
Goings said. “Without getting into the legal options that our city attorney
will discuss with the council, I’ll summarize it like this: we have not
identified a solution where Greenlight can serve customers outside of our
county.

... More Details on This INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING Story Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/wilson-forced-turn-service-pinetops>

Saint Louis Park is Prepared for the Fiber Future - Community Broadband
Bits Podcast 219
<https://muninetworks.org/content/saint-louis-park-prepared-fiber-future-community-broadband-bits-podcast-219>
Tue, September 13, 2016 | Posted by christopher
<https://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/saint-louis-park-prepared-fiber-future-community-broadband-bits-podcast-219>

Saint Louis Park, a compact community along the west side of Minneapolis,
has built an impressive fiber network, a conduit
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term305> system, and several deals
with developers to ensure new apartment buildings will allow their tenants
to choose among high speed Internet access providers. Chief Information
Office Clint Pires joins me for Community Broadband Bits podcast 219.

In one of our longest episodes, we discuss how Saint Louis Park started by
partnering with other key entities to start its own fiber network,
connecting key anchor institutions. Years later, it partnered with a firm
for citywide solar-powered Wi-Fi
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term29> but that partner failed to
perform, leaving the community a bit disheartened, but in no way cowed.

They continued to place conduit in the ground wherever possible and began
striking deals with ISPs and landlords that began using the fiber and
conduit to improve access for local businesses and residents. And they so
impressed our previous podcast guest Travis Carter of US Internet, that he
suggested we interview them for this show.

... Listen to the Show Here
<https://muninetworks.org/content/saint-louis-park-prepared-fiber-future-community-broadband-bits-podcast-219>
... Read the transcript of the episode here
<https://muninetworks.org/content/transcript-community-broadband-bits-episode-219>

Chesterton, Indiana: Dark Fiber Investment, Seeks Operator
<https://muninetworks.org/content/chesterton-indiana-dark-fiber-investment-seeks-operator>
Mon, September 12, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/chesterton-indiana-dark-fiber-investment-seeks-operator>

Chesterton, Indiana <http://www.chestertonin.org/>, plans to deploy a dark
fiber network to serve municipal facilities, anchor institutions, and local
businesses. Like their neighbor to the south, Valparaiso, they hope to
boost economic development, improve local services, and help the community
compete in the race to draw in new industries. “We learned if we didn’t
have that in the ground ready to go, we couldn’t compete,” said Town
Manager Bernie Doyle.
<http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/chesterton-aims-high-with-second-fiber-optic-project/article_c09dc7f1-09a4-5f05-b045-72445e4132b6.html>

*Taking It One Step At A Time*

The Chesterton Redevelopment Commission released a Request for Proposals
<http://www.chestertonin.org/DocumentCenter/View/1161> (RFP) in late July
as part of Phase II of the project christened the Chesterton Fiber Optic
Network (CFON). The community is looking for an entity to operate and
maintain, provide last mile
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term17> connectivity,
and perform other services typical of an Operator. Late last year, the
community released the Phase I Request for Information (RFI)
<http://www.chestertonin.org/documentcenter/view/982>, for a firm to design
the fiber backbone of approximately 15 miles. They chose a company in
March. The final phase will seek out a firm to construct the network.

... Get the Rest of the Story Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/chesterton-indiana-dark-fiber-investment-seeks-operator>

Examining Connectivity Alternatives: Op-Ed In Rochester
<https://muninetworks.org/content/examining-connectivity-alternatives-op-ed-rochester>
Tue, September 13, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/examining-connectivity-alternatives-op-ed-rochester>

When the Rochester Post-Bulletin published Christopher Mitchell’s opinion
piece
<http://www.postbulletin.com/opinion/christopher-mitchell-rochester-makes-smart-move-by-evaulating-internet-options/article_bc30a369-e194-5fff-97e2-cf1e61fe812b.html>in
August, it wasn’t only because he is an expert on municipal networks.
Christopher’s interest in all things geeky started in Rochester - he went
to Rochester Mayo High School.

*A Budding Idea*

For the past few years, various elected officials, and member of the
community-at-large have expressed dissatisfaction
<https://muninetworks.org/content/rochester-pursues-business-case-study-muni-network-minnesota>
for
services offered by incumbent Charter Communications. In addition to poor
services, City Council members have faced complaints from constituents
about awful customer service. Over the past year, the community began
showing that they will not abandon the idea of publicly owned Internet
infrastructure.

... Get the Rest of the Story Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/examining-connectivity-alternatives-op-ed-rochester>

Cool & Connected in "Little Gig City"
<https://muninetworks.org/content/cool-connected-little-gig-city>
Sat, September 17, 2016 | Posted by hannah
<https://muninetworks.org/users/hannah>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/cool-connected-little-gig-city>

Few communities in Tennessee have next-generation, high-speed connectivity,
but the city of Erwin <http://www.erwintn.org/> built its own network
despite Tennessee’s restrictions. Now through a collaboration of federal
and regional agencies, this “Little Gig City” will get assistance showing
off their fiber network.

The planning assistance program, called Cool & Connected
<https://www.epa.gov/smartgrowth/cool-connected>, will provide direct
assistance to Erwin to develop a marketing plan for the fiber network
<http://www.newsroomamerica.com/story/592475/obama_administration_to_help_appalachian_communities_revitalize_downtowns_through_broadband_service.html>.
Cool & Connected looks to promote the Appalachian communities by using
connectivity to revitalize small-town neighborhoods and encourage vibrant
main streets with economic development.

... A Little Click To Read the Rest of this Story ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/cool-connected-little-gig-city>

"The Big Easy" Wants I-Net Design, Releases RFP: Proposals Due Oct. 24
<https://muninetworks.org/content/big-easy-wants-i-net-design-releases-rfp-proposals-due-oct-24>
Thu, September 15, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/big-easy-wants-i-net-design-releases-rfp-proposals-due-oct-24>

Last week, the city of New Orleans, through the Foundation for Louisiana
<http://www.foundationforlouisiana.org/news/84/wanted-consultant-to-help-design-fiber-network-in-new-orleans?mc_cid=856f0f47dd&mc_eid=e00c29a42c>
(FFL),
released a Request for Proposals (RFP) in its search for technical
expertise to provide a fiber-optic
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term10> network design and services
related to its construction. Proposals are *due October 24th*.

*The Vision*

The Institutional Network
<https://muninetworks.org/content/institutional-networks> (I-Net) design
vision encompasses the entire city and will also provide wireless services.
It will serve traffic light and advanced camera systems, streetlights, in
addition to Internet, VoIP, video conferencing, and a list of other
services cities use on a regular basis.

... More Information From their RFP Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/big-easy-wants-i-net-design-releases-rfp-proposals-due-oct-24>

In The Hopper: Community Broadband Bill of 2016 From Rep. Eshoo
<https://muninetworks.org/content/hopper-community-broadband-bill-2016-rep-eshoo>
Wed, September 14, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/hopper-community-broadband-bill-2016-rep-eshoo>

In order to allow local governments to help communities get the
connectivity they need to compete, Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (Dem.-CA) introduced
the Community Broadband Act of 2016 on September 13. The bill is designed
to preserve local authority for municipalities, tribal, and local
governments that wish to serve community anchor institutions, businesses,
and residents with advanced telecommunications capability.

>From Rep. Eshoo’s official statement:

“I’m disappointed that a recent court ruling blocked the FCC’s efforts to
allow local communities to decide for themselves how best to ensure that
their residents have broadband access. This legislation clears the way for
local communities to make their own decisions instead of powerful special
interests in state capitals.”

... Get More Details Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/hopper-community-broadband-bill-2016-rep-eshoo>

Davis, CA, Issues RFP For Feasibility Study: Responses Due Oct. 31
<https://muninetworks.org/content/davis-ca-issues-rfp-feasibility-study-responses-due-oct-31>
Sun, September 18, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/davis-ca-issues-rfp-feasibility-study-responses-due-oct-31>

The city of Davis, California <http://cityofdavis.org/>, recently released
a Request for Proposals
<http://documents.cityofdavis.org/Media/CityCouncil/Documents/PDF/CityCouncil/Broadband-Advisory-Task-Force/Documents/Citywide-Fiber-Optic-Network-RFP-Due-2016-10-31.pdf>
(RFP)
for a citywide fiber-optic feasibility study report. The community wants to
consider the options for a Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term13>) network. *Responses are due
October 31*.

The scope of the work includes:

The study should provide an analysis of options for engineering,
constructing, provisioning and operating a high speed citywide FTTP
network. It should feature both physical and network transport layer
components required to pass and potentially connect every home, business,
apartment complex, and institutional building within the City of Davis. The
analysis should also consider future use at strategic infill and edge
points around the City in order to support network growth through the
coming decades.

Davis wants firms to consider public private partnerships, the city’s
network as an open access
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term625> infrastructure,
and Davis is only an infrastructure provider.

... More Information Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/davis-ca-issues-rfp-feasibility-study-responses-due-oct-31>

--
You can always find our most recent stories and other resources at http://MuniNetworks.org