[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 9/8

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Thu Sep 8 05:35:48 PDT 2016

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the **Institute for
Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear at bottom.  Send
feedback.  Forward Widely.*

NYTimes Examines Sixth Circuit Reversal: Potatoes And Pinetops
<https://muninetworks.org/content/nytimes-examines-sixth-circuit-reversal-potatoes-and-pinetops>
Mon, August 29, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/nytimes-examines-sixth-circuit-reversal-potatoes-and-pinetops>

The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals issued their order on August 10th
<https://muninetworks.org/content/sixth-circuit-court-appeals-reverses-fcc-disappointing-ruling>
supporting
the states of Tennessee and North Carolina in their challenge from an FCC
decision from February 2015
<https://muninetworks.org/content/cable-companies-lose-big-fcc-barriers-community-broadband-struck-down>.
Both states objected to the FCC’s decision to preempt state laws preventing
municipalities from providing fast, affordable, reliable connectivity via
municipal Internet networks. The Appellate Court Judges reviewed the legal
arguments, the precedent, and the interplay between federal authority and
state sovereignty.

The impact of their ruling will affect more than a few pages in a law
school text book. Access to high-quality Internet access positively impacts
real people and businesses and, as Cecila Kang captures in her recent
article in the New York Times
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/technology/broadband-law-could-force-rural-residents-off-information-superhighway.html>,
the people who depend on it fear the outcome if their state legislators
take it away.

... This is a BIG Deal - Important Story ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/nytimes-examines-sixth-circuit-reversal-potatoes-and-pinetops>

North Carolina and Tennessee Lose in 6th Circuit - Community Broadband Bits
Podcast 217
<https://muninetworks.org/content/north-carolina-and-tennessee-lose-6th-circuit-community-broadband-bits-podcast-217>
Wed, August 31, 2016 | Posted by christopher
<https://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/north-carolina-and-tennessee-lose-6th-circuit-community-broadband-bits-podcast-217>

It has been several weeks, but Lisa and I wanted to answer any lingering
questions people may have about the results of the Sixth Circuit case
<https://muninetworks.org/content/sixth-circuit-court-appeals-reverses-fcc-disappointing-ruling>
reviewing
the FCC's action to remove state-created barriers to municipal networks. We
devoted Community Broadband Bits episode 217 to the case and aftermath.

The Sixth Circuit ruled against the FCC narrowly - finding that while it
had no dispute with the FCC's characterization of municipal networks as
beneficial, Congress had not given the FCC the power to overrule state
management of its subdivisions (cities). As we have often said, restricting
local authority in this manner may be stupid, but states are allowed to do
stupid things (especially when powerful companies like AT&T and Comcast
urge them to).

Lisa and I explore the decision and explain why we are nonetheless glad
that FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler and Commissioners Rosenworcel and Clyburn
moved on the petitions from Chattanooga and Wilson to remove state barriers
to next-generation network investment. We also reference this blog post
from Harold Feld, which is a well-done summary of the situation
<http://www.wetmachine.com/tales-of-the-sausage-factory/fcc-loses-its-muni-broadband-test-case-what-comes-next/>
.

... Listen to the Show Here
<https://muninetworks.org/content/north-carolina-and-tennessee-lose-6th-circuit-community-broadband-bits-podcast-217>
... Read the transcript of this episode here
<https://muninetworks.org/content/transcript-community-broadband-bits-episode-217>

Feds Are Fed Up With AT&T's Lame Excuse For Abusing E-rate
<https://muninetworks.org/content/feds-are-fed-atts-lame-excuse-abusing-e-rate>
Wed, August 31, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/feds-are-fed-atts-lame-excuse-abusing-e-rate>

In late July, the FCC released a Notice of Apparent Liability (NAL) in
which it found the telecommunications giant AT&T Southeast liable for a
$106,425 forfeiture. The agency also ordered the company to return $63,760
of E-rate funds it described as “improperly disbursed.” AT&T overcharged
two school districts in Florida and, in a response released last week, are
trying to justify their pilfer by blaming the E-rate rules and the schools
themselves, much as a criminal blames victims for being such easy targets.

*Funded By Phone Users*

E-rate funds are collected as a surcharge on telephone bills; the funds go
to schools to help pay for telecommunications costs at schools, including
telephone, Internet access, and infrastructure costs like fiber network
construction. The amount a school district receives depends on the number
of students in the district that qualify for free and reduced lunches;
schools with higher numbers of low-income students are reimbursed at a
higher rate. Given that many of our schools are funded through property tax
rolls, this means that schools in poorer neighborhoods that are more likely
to need help with their budgets receive the higher reimbursement rates.

... Celebrate Lisa's Great Title by Reading Her Story! ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/feds-are-fed-atts-lame-excuse-abusing-e-rate>

Port of Lewiston Crossing Bridges: Network Forges Ahead
<https://muninetworks.org/content/port-lewiston-crossing-bridges-network-forges-ahead>
Tue, August 30, 2016 | Posted by alexander
<https://muninetworks.org/users/alexander>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/port-lewiston-crossing-bridges-network-forges-ahead>

Port of Lewiston’s open access
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term625> dark
fiber network continues to move toward completion. Construction crews are
burying fiber lines at multiple project sites around Lewiston. In the past
few weeks, the network crossed to the north side of Clearwater River via
the Memorial Bridge, where it will link to Whitman County’s fiber network.

A recent article from the Port of Lewiston
<http://portoflewiston.com/lewiston-port-working-to-complete-fiber-optic-network-to-serve-region-thursday-july-21-lewiston-tribune/>
listed
completed sections of the network,

“So far, it reaches major employers such as St. Joseph Regional Medical
Center, Lewis-Clark State College, Regence and the Vista Outdoor plant at
11th and Snake River avenues.”

The article also outlined the projects to be completed by September 1st,

“They will reach the industrial district by the Lewiston-Nez Perce County
Regional Airport, Clearwater Paper, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories and
the Southway Bridge. At the bridge, the lines will connect with an Asotin
County network built by the Port of Clarkston.”

... Take the Bridge to Our Story Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/port-lewiston-crossing-bridges-network-forges-ahead>

>From Ghost Towns to Fiber Towns, A Texas Cooperative Looks to the Future
<https://muninetworks.org/content/ghost-towns-fiber-towns-texas-cooperative-looks-future>
Sat, September 03, 2016 | Posted by hannah
<https://muninetworks.org/users/hannah>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/ghost-towns-fiber-towns-texas-cooperative-looks-future>

Amid Ghost Towns in northern Texas, a local telephone cooperative looks to
bring next-generation technology to rural communities. In August 2015,
Brazos Communications, based out of Olney, Texas, announced its plans to
build a fiber network throughout its sparsely populated service area.

A year later, in August 2016, the project is well underway. Brazos
Communications has completed construction in two of the more populous towns
(Archer City
<http://www.brazosnet.com/brazos-continues-construction-fiber-premise-archer-city/>
 and Olney
<http://www.brazosnet.com/brazos-begins-construction-fiber-premise-olney/>)
and has begun installing fiber in the community of Newcastle
<http://www.brazosnet.com/brazos-begins-construction-of-fiber-to-the-premise-in-newcastle/>
.

*The Fiber Project*

Brazos Communications keeps locals apprised of the details of the project
through their blog on BrazosNet.com <http://www.brazosnet.com/brazos-blog/> and
their social media accounts <https://www.facebook.com/brazoscommunications/>.
The telephone cooperative’s service area covers many small communities, the
largest of which is Olney with about 3,000 people.

... Another Co-op Solution for Improving Internet Access ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/ghost-towns-fiber-towns-texas-cooperative-looks-future>

California Bill Maps Existing Fiber, Requires Conduit Construction
<https://muninetworks.org/content/california-bill-maps-existing-fiber-requires-conduit-construction>
Fri, September 02, 2016 | Posted by KateSvitavsky
<https://muninetworks.org/users/katesvitavsky>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/california-bill-maps-existing-fiber-requires-conduit-construction>

Legislation improving rural Internet access and reducing telecommunications
outages is headed to the Governor’s office after unanimously passing in the
California State Assembly and Senate. AB 1549
<http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billVersionsCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1549>
creates
a comprehensive statewide map of all conduit
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term305> and fiber cables in
California and requires new conduit to be laid during public works
projects.

“We need better connectivity in our rural communities, bottom line,” said
California Assembly Member James Wood, who introduced the legislation, in a
June press release
<http://asmdc.org/members/a02/news-room/press-releases/broadband-map-act-now-mandates-new-conduits>
.

“In past decades the public sector invested heavily to deliver copper
telephone lines and electricity across the country. This is a drop in the
bucket compared to those investments, but it will make a world of
difference for our communities in this 21st Century economy.”

*Improving Service, Lowering Prices*

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have cited the cost of laying fiber cable
and conduit as a major deterrent for investing in infrastructure,
especially in rural communities. That cost is mostly incurred when
companies have to dig into the ground. AB 1549 helps ISPs lower these costs
by mandating that CalTrans, the state’s department of transportation,
notify ISPs when it is opening a trench that could house conduit. If no
ISPs are interested in installing conduit at that time, CalTrans is
required to install it for future use.

... Get the Rest of the Story Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/california-bill-maps-existing-fiber-requires-conduit-construction>

Feld Breaks Down 6th Circuit FCC Reversal
<https://muninetworks.org/content/feld-breaks-down-6th-circuit-fcc-reversal>
Thu, September 01, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/feld-breaks-down-6th-circuit-fcc-reversal>

In our last Community Broadband Bits podcast
<https://muninetworks.org/content/north-carolina-and-tennessee-lose-6th-circuit-community-broadband-bits-podcast-217>,
Christopher and I discussed the August 10th U.S. Court of Appeals for the
Sixth Circuit decision to reverse
<https://muninetworks.org/content/sixth-circuit-court-appeals-reverses-fcc-disappointing-ruling>
the
FCC’s February 2015 ruling against state barriers. We mentioned Harold
Feld’s article about the ruling posted on his website. In keeping with most
matters of importance in the municipal Internet network field, Harold
expertly sums up the history of the case, the arguments, and what the
outcome could mean for the future.

Feld gets down into the crux of the argument that won over the three judges
in the Sixth Circuit - the need to establish if it is states or federal
agencies that make the decisions regarding whether or not local governments
can provide telecommunications.

... Well Worth Reading and Sharing ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/feld-breaks-down-6th-circuit-fcc-reversal>

Community Broadband Media Roundup - September 5
<https://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-september-5>
Mon, September 05, 2016 | Posted by Nick
<https://muninetworks.org/users/nick>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-september-5>

*California*

Internet improvements to go before City Council
<http://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/internet-improvements-to-go-before-city-council/>
by
Felicia Alvarez, Davis Enterprise

The fiber pioneers
<http://americancityandcounty.com/smart-cities/fiber-pioneers> by Timothy
Downs, American City and County

“Santa Monica is a great example of how a local government can develop a
long-term vision and create significant economic benefits with low risk
investments,” Christopher Mitchell of the Institute for Local
Self-Reliance, a proponent of municipally owned networks, says. “Without
spending any new money, it built a great fiber-optic
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term10> network along major streets
<http://americancityandcounty.com/public-works/roadways?intlink=autlink> and
ultimately began generating revenue from fiber leases and operating a free
Wi-Fi <https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term29> network in popular
tourist destinations.”

 ... Read the Full Community Network Media Roundup Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-september-5>

--
You can always find our most recent stories and other resources at http://MuniNetworks.org
---