[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 5/31

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue May 31 09:58:50 PDT 2016

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the **Institute for
Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear at bottom.  Send
feedback.  Forward Widely.*

Our "Open Access Networks" Resources Page Now Available
<https://muninetworks.org/content/our-open-access-networks-resources-page-now-available>
Mon, May 23, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/our-open-access-networks-resources-page-now-available>

When communities decide to proceed with publicly owned infrastructure, they
often aim for open access <https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term625> models.
Open access allows more than one service provider to offer services via the
same infrastructure. The desire is to increase competition, which will
lower prices, improve services, and encourage innovation.

It seems straight forward, but open access can be more complex than one
might expect. In addition to varying models, there are special challenges
and financing considerations that communities need to consider.

In order to centralize our information on open access, we’ve created the
new *Open Access Networks
<http://muninetworks.org/content/open-access>* resource
page. We’ve gathered together some of our best reference material,
including links to previous MuniNetworks.org stories, articles from other
resources, relevant Community Broadband Bits podcast episodes, case
studies, helpful illustrations, and more.

... Lots of Information and Network Tracking - Learn More Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/our-open-access-networks-resources-page-now-available>

Tennessee Potential Partnership Between Morristown Muni and AEC Co-op -
Community Broadband Bits Podcast 203
<https://muninetworks.org/content/tennessee-potential-partnership-between-morristown-muni-and-aec-co-op-community-broadband-bi>
Wed, May 25, 2016 | Posted by christopher
<https://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/tennessee-potential-partnership-between-morristown-muni-and-aec-co-op-community-broadband-bi>

In Tennessee, this month marks 10 years of Morristown Utility Systems
<http://www.musfiber.net/>delivering fiber-optic
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term10> triple-play
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term27> service to the community,
including great Internet access. But those living just outside the city and
in nearby cities have poor access at best. MUS General Manager and CEO Jody
Wigington returns to our show this week and we also welcome Appalachian
Electric Cooperative (AEC) <http://aecoop.org/>General Manager Greg
Williams to discuss a potential partnership to expand Morristown services
to those that want them.

As we have frequently noted, Tennessee law prohibits municipal fiber
networks from expanding
<http://muninetworks.org/content/fcc-opinion-and-order-striking-down-local-authority-limits-tn-and-nc-highlights>
beyond
their electric territories. The FCC decision repealing that favor
<http://muninetworks.org/tags/tags/section-706> to the big cable and
telephone company lobbyists is currently being appealed. But Tennessee also
prohibits electrical co-ops from providing telephone or cable TV service,
which makes the business model very difficult in rural areas.

Nonetheless, MUS and AEC have studied how they can team up to use the
assets of both to deliver needed services to those outside Morristown. We
discuss their plan, survey results, the benefits of working together, and
much more.

... Listen to the Show Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/tennessee-potential-partnership-between-morristown-muni-and-aec-co-op-community-broadband-bi>

Muni In Muscatine: Upgrades, Speeds Up, Outperforms
<https://muninetworks.org/content/muni-muscatine-upgrades-speeds-outperforms>
Mon, May 23, 2016 | Posted by hannah <https://muninetworks.org/users/hannah>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/muni-muscatine-upgrades-speeds-outperforms>

Cedar Falls may be the Iowa city famous for its Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term13>) network, but that won’t stop
Muscatine. This small city of approximately 29,000 people is about to
upgrade its aging network. For a little over a year, the municipal
utility, Muscatine
Power and Water <https://www.mpw.org/> (MP&W), has planned for the move to
FTTH with funding from an interdepartmental loan. Now, FTTH is coming to
Muscatine's MachLink Internet access service.

MP&W expects to break ground this year on this $8.7 million FTTH project
and to finish building the network in 2017. Fiber will offer speeds much
faster than those available on the existing hybrid fiber-coax (HFC
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term331>) network. In anticipation,
MP&W is increasing speeds for subcribers without raising rates.

... Learn More About Muscatine's Coming Upgrade ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/muni-muscatine-upgrades-speeds-outperforms>

Lakeland Considering Its Next Step In Florida
<https://muninetworks.org/content/lakeland-considering-its-next-step-florida>
Tue, May 24, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/lakeland-considering-its-next-step-florida>

In August 2013, we reported on Lakeland, Florida’s dark fiber network
<http://muninetworks.org/content/dark-fiber-paying-floridas-lakeland> that
serves local schools, government facilities, and local businesses. Over the
past year or so, community leaders have discussed whether or not to expand
the use of Lakeland’s fiber resources.

A 2015 feasibility study
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2489014-city-of-lakeland-broadband-opportunities.html>
suggested
several other ways to use Lakeland’s existing 330 miles of fiber
infrastructure to enhance connectivity for economic development and
residential access. As the city examines its finances and its future in the
coming months, city leaders are considering six avenues to meet the
community’s needs. The options, some recommended by consultants, vary in
type and investment and the City Commission will begin discussing the
possibilities as they meet in the upcoming months.

... Potentially Exciting News for Another Florida Fiber Network ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/lakeland-considering-its-next-step-florida>

OK, Just What Does Open Access Mean Anymore?
<https://muninetworks.org/content/ok-just-what-does-open-access-mean-anymore>
Wed, May 25, 2016 | Posted by christopher
<https://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/ok-just-what-does-open-access-mean-anymore>

In our experience, just about every community considering building a
community network considers open access
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term625>. They want to enable new
choices for services and often would prefer the local government avoid
directly competing with existing service providers, for a variety of
reasons. However, we are only tracking 30 open access networks on our
just-released Open Access resource page
<http://muninetworks.org/content/open-access>.

Many of the communities that start off enthusiastic about open access
ultimately decide to have a single service provider (themselves or a
contractor) to have more certainty over the revenues needed to pay
operating expenses and debt. We believe this will change as the technology
matures and more communities embrace software-defined networks (SDN) -- but
before tackling that topic, we think it is important to discuss the meaning
of open access.

On a regular basis, I get an email from one deep-thinking person or another
that says, "That network isn't really open access." They almost always make
good points. The problem is that different people embrace open access for
different reasons - they often have different expectations of outcomes.
Understanding that is key to evaluating open access.

... Different People Expect Different Outcomes From Different Open Access
Notions ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/ok-just-what-does-open-access-mean-anymore>

Community Connections - Matt Rantanen, Tribal Digital Village
<https://muninetworks.org/content/community-connections-matt-rantanen-tribal-digital-village>
Wed, May 25, 2016 | Posted by rebecca
<https://muninetworks.org/users/rebecca>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/community-connections-matt-rantanen-tribal-digital-village>

Tribal governments face unique problems when connecting their communities,
but the need is great.

In this episode of Community Connections, Christopher Mitchell speaks with
Matt Rantanen, Director of Technology for the Southern California Tribal
Chairmen's Association (SCTCA) <http://www.sctca.net/> and Director of
the Tribal
Digital Village (TDV) <http://sctdv.net/> Initiative. Mitchell and Rantanen
talk about the special challenges of deploying fiber on tribal lands.

... Watch the Video Here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/community-connections-matt-rantanen-tribal-digital-village>

Missouri HB 2078 Fails: Post Mortem Play-By-Play
<https://muninetworks.org/content/missouri-hb-2078-fails-post-mortem-play-play>
Thu, May 26, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/missouri-hb-2078-fails-post-mortem-play-play>

Since we alerted our audience
<http://muninetworks.org/content/mo-fight-not-over-til-its-over-time-call> to
the shenanigans surrounding Missouri’s HB 2078
<http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bill=HB2078>, a couple of other
news medias have picked up the story and reported on the dramatic end of
session climax. As we rest in the glow of the denouement, we want to
provide a follow up for those who may have missed the final outcome and
offer some words from Jim Baller, who was deep in the trenches.

*Here's What Happened...*

If you have not yet heard, the language from HB 2078 was ultimately not
adopted
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/politicians-fail-in-bid-to-squash-municipal-broadband-in-missouri/>
by
the Missouri State Legislature. *Whew.* Readers probably recall that, when
HB 2078 stalled on its own, the author of HB 2078, Rep. Lyndall Fraker
slipped some of the more damaging language into SB 765
<https://legiscan.com/MO/votes/SB765/2016>, a traffic ticket bill that had
nothing to do with municipal networks.

... Another Close Call in Missouri - Stay Tuned in 2017! ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/missouri-hb-2078-fails-post-mortem-play-play>

MPLS Park Board Obstructing FTTH: More Coverage
<https://muninetworks.org/content/mpls-park-board-obstructing-ftth-more-coverage>
Thu, May 26, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<https://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/mpls-park-board-obstructing-ftth-more-coverage>

After our article earlier this month
<http://muninetworks.org/content/parks-property-right-way-refusal-slows-ftth-minneapolis>
on
US Internet’s problems obtaining permission to install conduit
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term305> under Minneapolis Park Board
boulevard property, several other articles appeared in local media.

TV station KARE 11 ran a piece
<http://www.kare11.com/news/parks-board-halts-internet-fiber-expansion/210364655>
on
the issue and interviewed Julie Stenberg, who observed, "Technically it's
park land, but people are not playing Frisbee, they're not picnicking
here.” (Watch the video below.)

The Star Tribune also ran an article
<http://www.startribune.com/us-internet-s-high-speed-fiber-hits-a-snag-with-minneapolis-park-board/380546871/>
noting
that people like Julie, who live adjacent to park owned boulevards, may
never have the opportunity to take Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH) service from
the local provider.  If US Internet wants to obtain a permit to bury
conduit along the parkway in order to get to Julie's house - the only
option available - they will have to shell out $27,000 in fees. People
around the corner from Julie are already getting FTTH service from US
Internet.

... Read the Rest and Watch a Helpful Video here ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/mpls-park-board-obstructing-ftth-more-coverage>

Push Poll And Passion: Network Will Expand in Roanoke County
<https://muninetworks.org/content/push-poll-and-passion-network-will-expand-roanoke-county>
Fri, May 27, 2016 | Posted by hannah <https://muninetworks.org/users/hannah>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/push-poll-and-passion-network-will-expand-roanoke-county>

The Roanoke Valley Broadband Authority (RVBA)
<http://highspeedroanoke.net/> network
is live in Virginia, and the state’s cable-telco
<https://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term608> lobby is not happy. Despite
the Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association (VCTA
<http://www.vcta.com/>) attempts to turn people against the network, local
leaders in Roanoke County decided to help fund further expansion
<http://www.roanoke.com/news/local/roanoke_county/roanoke-county-supervisors-pass-budget-approve-broadband-expansion/article_f05f128d-8709-5b9f-93fd-308442efa5ec.html>
.

As part of their $183 million budget, the Roanoke County Board of
Supervisors included $3.4 million to bring the network into the county,
with economic development driving the vote. From the Roanoke Times coverage
of the vote:

“There is so much that is great that is going on in Roanoke County,”
[Supervisor Joe McNamara] said. “Whether it’s what we’re doing for
community development with our strategic planning, what we’re doing from an
economic development standpoint, what we’ve done with allocating money
toward storm water management. I really see broadband as just one area of
the budget.”

... We Uncover the Controversy and Mention Ice Cream ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/push-poll-and-passion-network-will-expand-roanoke-county>

Stark County, Ohio, Hires Consultant For Feasibility Study
<https://muninetworks.org/content/stark-county-ohio-hires-consultant-feasibility-study>
Fri, May 27, 2016 | Posted by ternste
<https://muninetworks.org/users/ternste>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/stark-county-ohio-hires-consultant-feasibility-study>

Longtime efforts by community leaders in Stark County, Ohio
<http://starkcountyohio.gov/>, to create a new countywide Internet network
have recently taken important steps forward.

*Local Support Is Strong*

In the past few months, three local government agencies approved informal
resolutions to explore building the proposed network, including the City
Council in Canton
<http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20160523/canton-council-voices-support-for-broadband-utility>,
the Stark County commissioners, and the trustees in Jackson Township
<http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20160426/jackson-township-trustees>. County
population is about 375,000 within the 575 square miles located in the
northeast section of the state.

In May, an all-volunteer organization comprised of local leaders
called the Stark
County Broadband Task Team <http://www.theforthutility.org/> (SCBBTT)
announced that they had raised $100,000 needed to fund a feasibility study
to explore the construction of the network. The SCBBTT also recently
announced
<http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20160523/stark-county-broadband-team-hires-consultant>
they
hired a consultant to conduct the study.

... More Details on Yet Another Community Recognizing Its Need for Smart
Strategy ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/stark-county-ohio-hires-consultant-feasibility-study>

Community Broadband Media Roundup - May 30
<https://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-may-30>
Mon, May 30, 2016 | Posted by Nick <https://muninetworks.org/users/nick>
<https://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-may-30>

*Idaho*

Idaho Falls exploring options to provide fiber optic connections to homes
<http://www.localnews8.com/news/Idaho-Falls-exploring-options-to-provide-fiber-optic-connections-to-homes/39629054>
by
KIDK-3 TV

The city’s current fiber infrastructure has not only improved operational
efficiencies for the city and its utilities, but it has also facilitated
economic development, competitive internet service rates and helped
maintain city rights-of-way.

Ammon moves to create fiber optic district
<http://www.localnews8.com/news/ammon-moves-to-create-fiber-optic-district/39645338?mc_cid=36d989683a&mc_eid=2910c7b52b>
by
KIDK-3 TV

 ... Read the Full Community Broadband Media Roundup ...
<https://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-may-30>

--
You can always find our most recent stories and other resources at http://MuniNetworks.org
---