[Davisgig] RFP Respondents and Status + Executive summary + 3rd BATF Meeting + DavisGIG meeting

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Tue May 17 11:21:58 PDT 2016

HI Davisites

Good news, we raised $4100 on the Big Day of Giving over approximately
75 resident  contributions. THANK YOU  to everyone who generously
donated to help move this project along.  While we have a way to go to
complete the process, we do have interest from The Broadband Advisory
Task Force to review and perhaps be a part of the funding for the
feasibility study, so that is very encouraging. Here are some quick
updates.

I have 10 LAWN SIGNS LEFT.

Please pick up a lawn sign!

1930 5th St Suite C
Davis CA 95616

1) RFP Status - We have 3 great respondents so far to our RFP.  CCG
Consulting, the Telecommunications Group, and Fibersmith Company, all
leading and experienced in this area.  Since the BATF and the City might
want to participate as co-issuers of this RFP, we are extending the time
line once, by a period of 3 months to accomadate the processes this
document needs to go through in order to get possible City support. We
will continue fundraising for the the report, in case the City will not
be able to be a part of it in a timely way.

2) Executive Summary - Our next line of engagement is working with the
business community. WE were not able to adequately fund raise there due
to time constraints, but we plan to over the summer to support the FSR.
In support of that, we have drafted an executive summary that will be
sent to the DCOC CEO, and other contacts we have in the business
community. If there are any people you all think we should direct this
too, please email me privately.

Here is the document, I'd like to send it out next Monday, and so please
keep in mind it has to be tight and polished.

  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d-vAElifZ4P_iw__K6P5r3dtJquOkTDqThG7rhorEJE/edit?usp=sharing

3) BATF meeting 5/25/2016 - 6:30 pm

This will be the 3rd meeting of the BATF. Its my feeling that it would
be good to have some of the people that have to come to the DavisGIG
meetings over the past year to drop by for the beginning of the meeting.
Please make a public comment, about why you think community owned fiber
optic, is a good strategy for Davis. It would help "humanize" DavisGIG,
which at this point, has a little bit of an us vs them mentality vis a
vis the BATF. It would help the BATF to know that we are all just people
that live and work in town, that are trying to help the City get out
from under the Internet duopoly, foster economic development, and
provide our city with a tremendous physical asset.

So please come, stay for the first 15 minutes and tell the commissioners
your broadband tale.

4) DavisGIG Committee Meeting - Wed June 8th 6:30 pm - location TBD -

Lets have a beer and talk about
     -Engaging Business donors
     -Latest Vendor Interest
     -Business Case Analysis from Nokia

SO please save the date folks.

Please stay engaged and keep your neighbors engaged as well.

And GET A LAWN SIGN!

Thanks
Davis GIG Committee