[Davisgig] Fwd: K-12 US secondary schools get 100 Gb per second Internet connection in orange county California

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Tue May 3 08:32:42 PDT 2016

Here's a potential opportunity to be explored as part of the Davis
fiber initiative.
RL

-------

CENIC is pleased to announce that CENIC, with its partners--the Orange
County Department of Education (OCDE), the K-12 High Speed Network
(K12HSN), and the California Department of Education (CDE)--has
established the world's first 100-Gigabit per second K-12 connection.
The network connection went into production on March 24th, 2016.

"Here in Orange County, we have highly innovative educators who are
continually looking to leverage new educational technologies that engage
students and enhance instruction in reading, writing, math, and other
core subjects. This latest upgrade to our infrastructure creates faster
and far more robust internet connections than ever before, enabling the
expanded use of rich educational content," said Orange County
Superintendent of Schools Dr. Al Mijares. "Our new 100-Gigabit ethernet
connection will directly benefit more than half a million students and
20,000-plus teachers across 27 school districts. In doing so, it
reflects our commitment to the vision that Orange County students will
lead the nation in college and career readiness and success."

http://cenic.org/news/item/cenic-announces-path-breaking-100gb-connection-with-orange-county-departmen