[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 3/1

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Mar 1 12:13:14 PST 2016

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the **Institute for
Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear at bottom.  Send
feedback.  Forward Widely.*

Muni Network in Huntsville Draws Google Fiber
<http://muninetworks.org/content/muni-network-huntsville-draws-google-fiber>
Mon, February 22, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/muni-network-huntsville-draws-google-fiber>

Huntsville Utilities and Google Fiber announced today
<http://www.huntsvilleal.gov/news/Huntsville_Utilities_to_build_a_fiber_network_throughout_the_City_2_22_16.php>
that
the utility will construct a dark fiber network and that Google Fiber will
offer services to the community via the city's new fiber infrastructure
investment.

We applaud Huntsville and Google for helping develop an innovative model
that will create more choices for local businesses and residents. We
believe this is an important step that can lead to a true market for
Internet access, allowing people a real choice in providers while ensuring
the network is accountable to local needs.

Next Century Cities (NCC) describes the arrangement as
<http://nextcenturycities.org/2016/02/22/exciting-new-fiber-deployment-model-from-google-fiber-announced/>
"promising new model for ensuring greater access to high-quality broadband
Internet." We see this as a significant step forward in creating
competition and bringing high quality Internet access to every one. For
many years, we have seen communities desire to invest in infrastructure but
not have to engage in service competition with powerful rivals like Comcast
or AT&T.

... We Like This Model and Are Excited ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/muni-network-huntsville-draws-google-fiber>
 Podcast Today on Huntsville With More Details
<http://muninetworks.org/content/exploring-huntsville-fiber-model-community-broadband-bits-podcast-191>

Rural Broadband Expansion Ignores Economic Development Potential in
Minnesota - Community Broadband Bits Podcast 190
<http://muninetworks.org/content/rural-broadband-expansion-ignores-economic-development-potential-minnesota-community-broadba>
Tue, February 23, 2016 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/rural-broadband-expansion-ignores-economic-development-potential-minnesota-community-broadba>

For years, many rural communities suffered from a broadband donut hole
problem - the investment in better-than-dial-up was in the population
center, leaving a donut of poor access around it. Now policy to reverse
that in places like Minnesota is perversely creating the opposite problem,
to the detriment of the entire community.

This week on the Community Broadband Bits podcast we welcome back Dan
Dorman, Executive Director of the Greater Minnesota Partnership
<http://gmnp.org/>. He is also a former legislator and current small
business owner in Greater Minnesota.

We discuss how this problem developed and where we see it happening before
our very eyes. Though we focus on Minnesota, this issue is broadly
applicable to all states. We also talk about how Comcast lobbyists have
cynically manipulated the program to prevent economic development or
possible competition, despite the fact that Comcast serves practically no
one outside of the metro region.

... Listen to the Show Here
<http://muninetworks.org/content/rural-broadband-expansion-ignores-economic-development-potential-minnesota-community-broadba>
... Read the Transcript Here
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/transcript-community-broadband-bits-episode-190>

Missouri's HB 2078 Advances
<http://muninetworks.org/content/missouris-hb-2078-advances>
Sat, February 27, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/missouris-hb-2078-advances>

*Dear Readers: **Since I first wrote this story with my attempt to analyze
this bill, I have revisited my earlier interpretation. If you read this
bill analysis before, you will notice some changes.*

It is starting to become an annual pilgrimage to Jefferson City. Each year,
House and Senate leaders on the telecom industry dole, introduce the same
anti-competition bill.

This year the bill we are watching is HB 2078
<http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bill=HB2078> in the House, yet
another AT&T bill. We briefly introduced you
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/missouri-legislature-another-anti-muni-session-pick-your-phone-and-call>
it in January when we requested you call Republican Representative Lyndall
Fraker and the other Members of the House Utility Infrastructure Committee.
Fraker is Chair of the Committee, often an indication that the committee
will hear the bill.

AT&T donated $20,000 to the House Republican Campaign Committee, reports
Ars Technica
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/att-gave-62k-to-lawmakers-months-before-vote-to-limit-muni-broadband/>.
Even though the check was deposited on February 15, 2016, Ars learned it
was actually donated in September 2015, before session began. Regardless of
when the money was donated, it is notable that AT&T contributed a total of
$62,500 to political committees in Missouri, a place where the incumbent
does not shy away from flexing its lobbying influence.

... Learn More About AT&T's Efforts to Crush Competition Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/missouris-hb-2078-advances>

Nebraska Network Begins To Grow In Lincoln Conduit
<http://muninetworks.org/content/nebraska-network-begins-grow-lincoln-conduit>
Tue, February 23, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/nebraska-network-begins-grow-lincoln-conduit>

Approximately 30,000 businesses and residential properties in downtown
Lincoln, Nebraska, will have access to gigabit Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term13>) by the end of 2016.

ALLO Communications recently announced that is it ready
<http://journalstar.com/business/local/downtown-east-lincoln-to-get-ultrafast-internet-first/article_da03a5c1-9c49-5eeb-b0bd-cf66f235cd8e.html>
begin the first phase of its four-phase plan to bring better connectivity
to the town of 269,000. ALLO will use the city owned network of conduit
installed in 2012
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/conduit-brings-connectivity-lincoln-nebraska>
house its fiber and expand where necessary.

The arrangement will bring a triple-play
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term27> fiber network of video, voice,
and data to the entire city by 2020. The minimum speed available will be
100 Megabits per second (Mbps <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term18>)
and a 1 gigabit per second option will also be available. Both tiers will
provide symmetrical <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term24> speeds so
upload <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term28> will be just as fast as
download <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term8>.

... More Details on this Approach Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/nebraska-network-begins-grow-lincoln-conduit>

MN Coop to Rural Schools: Have A Gig, No Extra Charge
<http://muninetworks.org/content/mn-coop-rural-schools-have-gig-no-extra-charge>
Mon, February 22, 2016 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/mn-coop-rural-schools-have-gig-no-extra-charge>

Minnesota's Paul Bunyan Communications
<http://www.paulbunyan.net/index.html>' is bringing better connectivity to
homes and businesses across northern rural Minnesota via fiber. The
cooperative is also helping local school districts save precious dollars
while obtaining the Internet access kids need for a 21st century education.

The cooperative recently announced it is now serving all schools in the
GigaZone, the area served by its fiber network, and every school can *upgrade
to gigabit Internet services* *at no extra charge*.

>From the announcement
<https://bringmethenews.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/gigazone-comes-to-all-school-districts-served-by-paul-bunyan-communications1.pdf>
:

"The GigaZone will provide the school districts Gigabit Internet speeds
throughout the school day so educators and students alike can use the
Internet faster and more efficiently. This upgrade is being provided at no
extra charge so districts can stay within their budget and prepare their
students for the future and the new technologies it will bring," said Steve
Howard, Paul Bunyan Communications IT & Development Manager.

... Learn More About These Suddenly Gigged Schools Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/mn-coop-rural-schools-have-gig-no-extra-charge>

Not Nuclear Power, but the Power of Connectivity in Vernon, Vermont
<http://muninetworks.org/content/not-nuclear-power-power-connectivity-vernon-vermont>
Fri, February 26, 2016 | Posted by hannah
<http://muninetworks.org/users/hannah>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/not-nuclear-power-power-connectivity-vernon-vermont>

Vernon, Vermont <http://vernonvermont.org/>, is a little town in search of
a boost to the local economy. *The Commons *reports that residents formed a
Fiber Optic Committee in June
<http://www.commonsnews.org/site/site05/story.php?articleno=13441&page=1#.VsdL-pMrLBL>
and
now are exploring the possibility of a municipal network
<http://www.commonsnews.org/site/site05/story.php?articleno=13893&page=1#.VsdbxpMrLBK>
.

*First an Idea, Now a Plan*

In December of 2014, the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Plant in the town began to
shutdown. Over the next few years, as the plant ends operations, it will
eliminate a total of 400 jobs in a town of 2,200. Vernon is looking for
other keys to economic development.

A local resident came up with an idea -- fiber optics. Vernon's Munson
Hicks, is now a member of the 5-person Fiber Optic Committee seeking to
find a way to make the idea a reality:

... More Reality, Just Click This Link ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/not-nuclear-power-power-connectivity-vernon-vermont>

Community Broadband Media Roundup - February 23
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-23>
Tue, February 23, 2016 | Posted by Nick <http://muninetworks.org/users/nick>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-23>

*Alabama*

Montgomery launches first city-owned Internet exchange point in Alabama
<http://www.govtech.com/network/Montgomery-Launches-First-City-Owned-Internet-Exchange-Point-in-Alabama.html?mc_cid=82aa765b30&mc_eid=2910c7b52b>
by
Colin Wood, GovTech

*Kentucky*

Center for Rural Development leading the efforts on broadband expansion in
Eastern Kentucky
<http://www.kyforward.com/center-for-rural-development-leading-the-efforts-on-broadband-expansion-in-eastern-kentucky/>
by
Kentucky Forward

*Maine*

Lakes Region towns collaborate to boost Internet speed
<http://www.keepmecurrent.com/lakes_region_weekly/news/lakes-region-towns-collaborate-to-boost-internet-speed/article_f98cec68-d67f-11e5-b7a2-77e102b535b6.html>
by
Tess Wrobelski, Keep ME Current

... Read the Rest of this Media Roundup Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-23>

Community Broadband Media Roundup - February 29
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-29>
Mon, February 29, 2016 | Posted by Nick <http://muninetworks.org/users/nick>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-29>

*Alabama*

Google Fiber joins forces with municpal broadband network
<http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/02/google-fiber-teams-with-huntsville-utility-to-expand-broadband/>
by
Jon Brodkin, ArsTechnica

Google to use city-owned network to bring fiber to Hunstville
<http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/269544/google-to-use-city-owned-network-to-bring-fiber-to.html>
by
Wendy Davis, Media Post

This private-public model for broadband could spread far beyond Huntsville,
according to muni-broadband proponent Christopher Mitchell, director of the
Institute for Local Self-Reliance's Community Broadband Networks Initiative.

"In many ways, I think this is a tremendously hopeful development,"
Mitchell tells MediaPost. "It gives cities a great confidence that if they
build passive infrastructure, they will be able to work with ISPs."

Google Fiber is coming to Hunstville, Alabama
<http://financialcv.com/2016/02/google-fiber-is-coming-to-huntsville-alabama/>
by
Kent Wallace, Financial CV

... More Media, More Rounded Up Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-29>

--
You can always find our most recent stories and other resources at http://MuniNetworks.org
---