[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 1/5 ...

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Jan 5 09:15:51 PST 2016

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the **Institute for
Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear at bottom.  Send
feedback.  Forward Widely.*

*We took some time off at the end of December but we are starting to rev up
again in the New Year!*

Conduits Lead to Competition - Community Broadband Bits Podcast Episode 182
<http://muninetworks.org/content/conduits-lead-competition-community-broadband-bits-podcast-episode-182>
Tue, December 22, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/conduits-lead-competition-community-broadband-bits-podcast-episode-182>

As we noted in a preliminary story last week, the city of Lincoln has crafted
a collection of conduits
<http://muninetworks.org/content/conduit-brings-connectivity-lincoln-nebraska%3Cbr%20/%3E>
allowing
greater competition for advanced telecommunications services. As we discuss
this week in episode 182 of the Community Broadband Bits podcast, they have
also crafted a smart policy to continue expanding the conduit system.

To better understand their impressive approach, we interviewed David Young,
Fiber Infrastructure and Right of Way Manager; Mike Lang, Economic
Development Aide; and Steve Huggenberger, Assistant City Attorney. We think
this policy is one that many communities will want to consider and copy.

Lincoln is already seeing the benefits from the conduit system, with
multiple providers using it and at least one investing in an FTTH
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term13> network. Nebraska prohibits
local governments and public power systems from building their own networks
to connect local businesses and residents, but this approach allows the
community to ensure they have a brighter, more fiber-lit future.

... Listen to the Show Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/conduits-lead-competition-community-broadband-bits-podcast-episode-182>

'Twas the Night Before Muni Fiber: An Adaptation
<http://muninetworks.org/content/twas-night-muni-fiber-adaptation>
Wed, December 23, 2015 | Posted by rebecca
<http://muninetworks.org/users/rebecca>

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the team at MuniNetworks.org

... Twis no longer that night, but you can still enjoyeth our comical
adaptation ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/twas-night-muni-fiber-adaptation>

Another Coop Story: Wiatel Wires Western Iowa
<http://muninetworks.org/content/another-coop-story-wiatel-wires-western-iowa>
Tue, December 22, 2015 | Posted by hannah
<http://muninetworks.org/users/hannah>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/another-coop-story-wiatel-wires-western-iowa>

Iowa, known across the country for its agriculture, is known in other
circles for its exciting community broadband projects. Earlier this
year President
Obama visited Cedar Falls
<http://muninetworks.org/content/national-press-follows-president-obama-cedar-falls-iowa>
praise its municipal network and to support other efforts to improve rural
high-speed Internet access. One of those efforts is Wiatel
<http://www.wiatel.com/>. This small telecommunications coop is beginning a $25
million project
<http://www.siouxlandmatters.com/news/local-news/siouxland-company-using-fiber-optics-to-speed-up-rural-internet>
upgrade its network from copper to fiber throughout its entire service area.

*Fiber Connectivity*

The cooper network that Wiatel uses now is sufficient for basic phone
service, but upgrading to fiber will future-proof the network and provide
better Internet speeds. The coop is based out of Lawton, a small town of
about 1,000 people, but the coop serves an area of 700 miles. Wiatel hopes
to start burying the fiber cables in the summer of 2016. Once the project
gets started, officials from the cooperative estimate they will connect all
residential and business customers to fiber within 24-30 months.

... Get the Full Story Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/another-coop-story-wiatel-wires-western-iowa>

Community Broadband Media Roundup - January 4
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-january-4>
Tue, January 05, 2016 | Posted by Nick <http://muninetworks.org/users/nick>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-january-4>

*Delaware*

Council narrowly agrees to municipal broadband study
<http://www.newarkpostonline.com/news/article_e4d9a49a-ef97-5d90-b873-dc1bea039863.html?mc_cid=a186b02941&mc_eid=2910c7b52b>
by
Karie Simmons, Newark Post Online

Newark to study municipal broadband
<http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2015/12/27/newark-study-municipal-broadband/77944174/>
by
Xerxes Wilson, Delaware Online

*Iowa*

 Dubuque enhances broadband access
<http://www.thonline.com/news/tri-state/article_1f7d4b09-c7f4-5c38-b9f6-9ed3ab3c2b80.html>
by
The Telegraph Herald

 ... Read our Full Community Network Roundup Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-january-4>

--
You can always find our most recent stories and other resources at http://MuniNetworks.org
---