[Davisgig] Missed NSF grant opportunity

Gary Darling gary_darling at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 3 16:01:08 PST 2016

Rob,

I liked your bullet list:

	• enhanced infrastructure
	• increased customer choice
	• debundled services
	• network neutrality
	• bandwidth caps - removing
	• design customized to local needs
	• local spending, local taxes
	• better connectivity options for low income people
	• improved connectivity for local schools and libaries
	• local netflix cache
	• possibly reducing need for additional cell towers
	• municipal emergency notification system
	• municipal smartgrid in concert with UC Davis who are pursuing this through their Utilities dept.
	• parity between upload and download bandwidth

Some other items that you might consider:

• Enhanced Privacy
• Parallel community computing

On the cell phone tower issue, as 5G rolls out I think we will have more not fewer cell towers that serve a smaller radius to allow for better use of bandwidth and faster mobile connectivity as 5G specifies. If we are going to put in fiber, now would be a good time to work with the telcos to lay out a clean multivendor cell phone tower plan. Smaller cells would also mean lower power connections. This might acquit the cocearns of those in town that live next to relatively high power cell phone towers worried about health effects.

We have not really discussed WiFi and it seems out of scope but crowded 2.4 GH channels are already a problem in Davis - especially in apartment buildings. I guess that the tech savvy can go for dual band routers but this seems a short term fix. As the internet of things progresses there are going to be more things on the Internet and more crowded WiFi channels.

                                               —Gary