[Davisgig] [Davisgig-announce] DavisGIG needs YOU!

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Sat Apr 2 16:04:08 PDT 2016

Hi Dave

These are great questions, some a little preliminary to where this is.

On 4/1/2016 11:28 AM, Dave Hart wrote:
> I've been following this issue at a distance and now that you are
> asking for $$ and for me to encourage others to do the same, I have
> questions that I need answers to before I get all starry-eyed talking
> to my neighbors.
>
>     1.  What are the critical milestones for getting this network
> installed?
The first "milestone" is giving the broadband task force a Feasibility
Report it needs to make a recommendation on an operational business
model to the CC. The CC, based on the recommendation of the BATF, should
choose a business model they would like to see built out and then put
out RFP that business model.

I'd say after choosing that vendor, the next milestone would be the
engineering study, and then the network build out.

DavisGIG advocates for a municipal ownership of the physical network
infrastructure, network operations by a community non-profit, and
open-access to whichever IP, TV, or Phone provider that would like to
sell services over the network to the residents.

Right now we need you and your neighbors help with the FSR, by far and
away the least expensive  part of this process. The RFP for this was
designed  by DavisGIG.
> 2.  What guarantee would I have that once a fiber optic network is in
> place that I would have access at my address?
Help get the best model adopted by helping us fund this now. That is
going to give you a better chance. Although we will all advise the City
that this needs to be built out to all homes and businesses, there are
other models out there that focus solely on core business areas. We
believe that is the wrong model. I could attest that if the DavisGIG
model gets adopted, all residences will be built out.

>     3.  How much time would lapse between the initial phases of
> installation and total build out?
IT depends on the vendor that gets chosen to build this out, and the
subcontractor. I'd think that once the permits are clear and we have a
group working it, it would be 12-18 months. Davis is very dense, has
easy topography, and easy soil. All things working in our factor.
Pacific Utility Construction, a company that builds out fiber, and based
in Woodland, has estimated about a year with their 6 bore crews.

>     4.  What data speeds and how much throughput would fiber optic
> provide at my address?
I'd think at the minimum the network would be built out to give a
capacity of 1 Gbps available throughput to the end user. Standards weare
looking at closely for that on the passive optical side would be
NG-PON-2, and on the active side, fiber based carrier ethernet would
definitley support that. Passive optics are cheaper to deploy because
you dont need active electronics in repeater cabinets in the
neighborhood, you use beam splitting.

>     5.  What price would I have to pay?

Well, if our model is selected and its open access to a variety of
vendors, for access only, I'm thinking about $40-$60 monthly. For
instance, independent ISP, Sonic.Net charges $40 monthly for up to
Gigabit Service/Phone in locations it owns infrastructure. The bandwidth
is likely the least expensive portion on  recurring costs proceeding
into the future with this type of network. However in our scenario, a
portion of that monthly payment returns to the city in the form of lease
fees. By asking you and your neighbors to donate now, you will be seeing
to the continued prosperity of Davis in addition to better broadband access.

Thanks
RAN