[Davisgig] A) Broadband "Core Utility" + B) Meetings + C) DavisGIG Committee meets Wed Oct 7th at Sudwerk at 6:30pm

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Wed Sep 23 21:36:01 PDT 2015

Hi Davisites

A) The WhiteHouse Broadband Opportunity Council has just referred to
Access to Broadband a “Core Utility” This is a big deal, and a big
report. Thanks for the Tip ET! We are reframing Internet Access as a
utility, and the DavisGIG community-owned plan fiber for fiber optic
network is a  de facto a  more utility style implementation of Internet
access.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/22/white-house-says-broadband-is-a-core-utility/

B) This month has been about meetings, here are some good meetings
DavisGIG has had recently. These are important becasue the convey the
vision to other leaders and stakeholders in the community and help move
the project along.

I'd like to really encourage other folks in the community to come to
these and share their $0.02. When you present our civic leaders with
multiple perspectives from people with diverse life experiences all
advocating a similar goal for the City, it helps convince them this is
the right choice.

So thank you to everyone that arranged these events and attended them on
our behalf over the last month. Lets move this along.

Meetings

1 - DJUSD with Director of Instructional Technology and IT Manager

2 - David Greenwald - PVOD

3 - Soroptomist luncheon

4- Jumpstart Davis

5 - DCN Executive Committee Meeting

6 - Chief Innovation Officer

7 - Felisha Alvarez - Davis Enterprise

Details

1 - The Meeting with DJUSD was presented as an initial meeting to brief
people in the superintendent's office on the project, andinvite their
participation in future discussions with other stake holders involved in
building out our municipal fiber optic network. IT was a 45 minute
meeting, attended by myself, Richard Lauckhart from El Macero, along
with Marcia Bernard and Bob Kehr. We provided an overview of how the
network would operate, the benefit it would bring to the schools, their
stronger negotiating position with Comcast for future Inet use, and
other issues. They indicated they would discuss it amongst their
technology committee, to come up with additional things they could do
with a fiber optic network to all the homes and businesses. They were
very concerned about digital divide issues and reaching all of the
students in Davis. This plan does do that, as it was conceived, so that
is a strength. They asked what they could do to help, and we suggested,
get engaged with the process, at a task force, and 2x2 meeting level to
advocate and support the deployment of a municipal fiber network. Joing
the volunteer list. Further asked that if it went forward they re-engage
at the board level with DCN or a future DavisGIG operating committe of DCN.

2 - David Greenwald met me at the Makerspace and did a 10 minute
interview for the Jumpstart Davis Event, made no promises and delivered
nothing. His recorder is nice, I think I'm going to get one for our next
General Meeting.

3 - Had a very comfortable reception and delivered an extemporaneous
lecture about DavisGIG to the Soroptomist group. We really need to
engage further with this network and more like it. Most of us are
surrounded in realms of tech geekery, and so take fiber optic for
granted as a naturally preferable evolution for Internet Access in
Davis, this group were over half retirees, and yet I felt everyone not
only understood the concept, they were largely positive on it. There was
a 20 minute or so talk, with about 15 minutes of great questions. We
were able to distribute our 3-4 Internet contact points to their list,
and I heard some options and good feedback. Thanks HB!

4 - Jumpstart Davis is a regular monthly meetup to showcase local
entreprenuerial activities. Thank you to the many DavisGIG Volunteers
who came to support our talk. IT was also somewhat extemporaneous, with
presentation slides from our prior Library outreach effort. A lot of
City leaders were present as well, and it was great for them to hear all
the general rambunctious energy from all our supporters and other
attendees at the event. We reinforced contacts with community leaders,
made some new allies of the effort, and really drew great enthusiasm
from a dinner party at a nearby table. A good thing is that this meeting
led to 2 future meetings which happened this week, with CIO of the City
and the Enterprise. Scott Ragsdale from Davis Roots spoke in passing
about helping get this sold in Davis, but no contact has been
forthcoming from him. He also said soemthing like that at the Small
Business Boost conference and didnt return any email then either, so
likely no help there.

5 - DCN has regular weekly lunch meetings, and this last week it was
attended by a very eloquent DavisGIG advocate Matthew Williams. He
presented several new strategies he feels could help move our project
forward in a more timely way, plus opinions on the financing and
direction of the effort. Some good public relations ideas he brought are
a student campaign in conjunction with DJUSD where we get all school
children to donate a $1 or so, for their future broadband network, a
powerful symbol.  He's also advocating financing the effort from revenue
bonds, and paying for the network from ISP lease fees or “franchise
fees” for accessing the network, rather than an every address pays for
the service, which would trigger a Prop 218 vote, or some other tax.
Finally, another solid idea is solicitng the MRIC folks to assist in
putting forward funds for the preparation of the FSR, and so we can get
this all done in a more timely way then going through the perceived
slower public process. I very much appreciate someone who is as
passionate about getting this done, and to let everyone know, as Matt
has been forthcoming on this in these meetings. He is running for City
council in 2016, and I believe DavisGIG will be a plank in the platform.
IT seems now this is taken on a life of its own, but, hey a great
meeting! And great to have another enthusiastic person that is community
minded and determined to see this happen.

6 -  Had a great 1 hour talk with Diane Parro at the Davis Makerspace
this morning. We discussed our backgrounds, the Internet, mediums of
Internet transmission, what's needed, for DavisGIG to operate,  so on
and so forth. GREAT meeting. We are fortunate, because it seems in her
prior work in the County she has been liasoned on Broadband issues
extensively out of Don Saylor's supervisor office, and has brought the
issue forward for years through various committees if only to be
stymied. Now this in Davis. After the meeting she has a good grounding
of how networks operate, why fiber is better than coax, and why open
access is better than monopoly Internet. Process going forward is
getting something to council in the October/early Nov timeline, putting
together her a workiing group, not a TASK FORCE,  to help get the
RFP/FSR stuff done. Stuff we have been discussing since meeting 2 of the
DavisGIG group. I've put it out there, that we want to just do all that
now, and I'll be seeing what they say to that next week. 6/16 is right
aroung the corner.

After this first, grounding in Internet Concepts, We are meeting again
next week, time to have another person or two from our group to drop in
and add their bit. Drop me a line. Especially someone that can put their
FSR Hat and getting things done, and  reassure them we can take it on,
at least fast tracking this process to some consultancy to get a quick
turn around from a reputable agency. Several peoplein the community have
put forward we could fundraise on that issue, , and perhaps get buy in
from the Innovation Center folsk. She is also working on her round of
higher level stakeholder meetings and getting buy in from other peole in
town. Helped give her a list.

7 -  After DP left the Makerspace, Felisha Alvarez, a UCD grad and
reporter from the Enterprise took a great in depth 1 hour or so
interview on DavisGIG. I spun out the long yarn of our tale, our
history, and how we have gotten to where we are. What comes next, and a
lot of similar stuff that we went over with DP. We'll see if it goes
anywhere, but she sounded very interested.

C) We should have lawn signs at our next meeting. Wed October 7^th at
6:30 pm at Sudwerk.

Anyway – more is to be done. Please check out TRELLO !
http://www.trello.com/davisgig

Pick a task, get it done.If you need an invite email rob at omsoft.com. You
should be able to see 4 or so boards covering general project areas,
with lists for specific areas and cards for individual tasks. Add your
own tasks or boards if you want. we are starting to have a need to flesh
this project out, now that there is civic interest.  Go to it.

At least sign up and get us some free Trello Gold.

Onward.

RAN