[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 7/21

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Jul 21 09:23:03 PDT 2015

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the *
*Institute for Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear
at bottom.  Send feedback.  Forward Widely.*

 Introducing Our Economic Development Page
<http://muninetworks.org/content/introducing-our-economic-development-page>
Wed, July 15, 2015 | Posted by phineas
<http://muninetworks.org/users/phineas>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/introducing-our-economic-development-page>

Access to high-speed, broadband Internet facilitates economic development.
Over the years, the Institute for Local Self-Reliance has documented
economic successes brought about by community broadband networks. We chose
some of the most compelling examples, organized them by topic, and put them
in one place for easy reference.

Unfortunately, in some communities, a lack of broadband Internet continues
to stunt economic growth - and has even forced businesses to relocate or
shut down. In many cases, incumbent Internet service providers like AT&T
and CenturyLink are not willing to provide business customers or local
residents with next-generation fiber networks.

... Here is the story
<http://muninetworks.org/content/introducing-our-economic-development-page>
... But This is the Economic Development Resource!
<http://muninetworks.org/content/municipal-networks-and-economic-development>

Did You Miss An Episode? Community Broadband Bits Podcast Index!
<http://muninetworks.org/content/did-you-miss-episode-community-broadband-bits-podcast-index>
Mon, July 13, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/did-you-miss-episode-community-broadband-bits-podcast-index>

On June 19, 2012, we published our first Community Broadband Bits podcast.
Three years and more than 150 episodes later, we are still sharing
conversations with interesting people who care about local authority,
connectivity, and telecommunications.

Now, each episode is indexed and cataloged by topic and guest so you can
catch up on those you missed or listen again to your favorites. We have
also transcribed many of the episodes. Check out the Community Broadband
Bits Podcast Index.
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-bits-podcast-index>

Pull out your earbuds and feel free to binge on Chris and his guests. As
always, we welcome your topic and guest ideas for the show; email us at
podcast at muninetworks.org. Thanks for listening!
... See the Index Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-bits-podcast-index>

Lafayette Celebrates 10 Year Anniversary of "Yes" to Network
<http://muninetworks.org/content/lafayette-celebrates-10-year-anniversary-yes-network>
Tue, July 14, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/lafayette-celebrates-10-year-anniversary-yes-network>

In June, 2005, voters in Lafayette chose to invest in a municipal FTTH
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term13> network, now known as the only
municipal gigabit network in the state, LUS Fiber <http://lusfiber.com/>.
To celebrate the milestone, City-Parish President Joey Durel has declared
July LUS Fiber Month
<http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/2015/07/07/lus-fiber-marks-10-year-anniversary-voter-approval/29843857/>.
Current customers' Internet access has been boosted up to gigabit speed at
no extra charge for July and the city will celebrate with a series of
events this week. The entire community is invited to participate onsite but
most of the events will be broadcast live so if you are not there, you can
be part of the celebration. See the list of events below.

In the past ten years, the network has attracted thousands of new jobs
<http://muninetworks.org/content/publicly-owned-lus-fiber-network-attracts-another-business-lafayette>,
created better educational opportunities, and helped bridge the digital
divide
<http://muninetworks.org/reports/community-broadband-bridging-digital-divide>.
Just last fall, three high tech companies committed to bringing
approximately 1,300 new jobs
<http://muninetworks.org/content/three-new-companies-move-silicon-bayou> to
the "Silicon Bayou." The presence of the network, the University of
Louisiana's local top-ranked computer science program, and its quality
grads were two more key factors for choosing Lafayette. *In April, Standard
& Poor gave LUS Fiber an A+ bond rating
<http://theind.com/article-20800-lus-fiber-gets-an-a+.html>* based on the
system's "sustained strong fixed charge coverage and liquidity levels, and
the communication system’s improved cash flow."

... Read the Highlights of this Wonderful Network ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/lafayette-celebrates-10-year-anniversary-yes-network>

NoaNet Touches Every County in Washington State - Community Broadband Bits
Episode 159
<http://muninetworks.org/content/noanet-touches-every-county-washington-state-community-broadband-bits-episode-159>
Tue, July 14, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/noanet-touches-every-county-washington-state-community-broadband-bits-episode-159>

The Northwest Open Access Network <http://www.noanet.net/> in Washington
has a long history of expanding high quality Internet access into rural
areas and now reaches into every county in the state. NoaNet is a nonprofit
organization originally formed by local governments and now operating over
2,000 miles of fiber.

This week we talk with Dave Spencer, NoaNet Chief Operating Officer, about
the history of NoaNet, how it has impacted the state, and what the future
holds for this organization.

We also discuss the NoaNet expansion enabled by the federal broadband
stimulus, how their open access fiber network has led to improved wireless
connections in many rural areas, and what it takes for a nonprofit
organization to thrive in an industry that can be very competitive despite
often having very few competitors.

... Listen to the Show Here
<http://muninetworks.org/content/noanet-touches-every-county-washington-state-community-broadband-bits-episode-159>
... Read the transcript from our discussion here
<http://muninetworks.org/content/transcript-community-broadband-bits-episode-159>

CNS Expanding Fiber in Rural Georgia
<http://muninetworks.org/content/cns-expanding-fiber-rural-georgia>
Thu, July 16, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/cns-expanding-fiber-rural-georgia>

Community Network Services
<http://www.cns-internet.com/Content/Default/7/7/0/thomasville.html> (CNS)
has been serving six rural southwest Georgia communities since the late
1990s. Recently, we learned that the network added two more communities to
its service area when it took over a small municipal cable system in Doerun
and purchased a private cable company in Norman Park.

CNS has been our radar since 2012 when we learned how Thomasville, Cairo,
Camilla, Moultrie, Baconton, and Pelham joined together to create a
regional network that reached into 4 counties. The network has brought
better access to rural Georgia, improved educational opportunities
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-network-services-cns-brings-stem-education-and-more-rural-southwest-georgia>,
and helped lower taxes
<http://muninetworks.org/content/thomasville-removes-local-tax-citing-strong-broadband-revenues>
.

Mike Scott, Moultrie City Manager, gave us details on the expansions into
both of these very small communities. Scott repeated the CNS philosophy:

We don't look at it as a just a business plan…we look at it as economic
development for the entire county.

... Read the Full Details of this Muni Fiber Expansion Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/cns-expanding-fiber-rural-georgia>

Boulder Releases RFP For Broadband Feasibility Study
<http://muninetworks.org/content/boulder-releases-rfp-broadband-feasibility-study>
Tue, July 14, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/boulder-releases-rfp-broadband-feasibility-study>

In June, Boulder released a Request for Proposals (RFP) as it seeks a
consultant to conduct a broadband feasibility study. A PDF of the RFP
<https://www-static.bouldercolorado.gov/docs/Boulder_RFP_No_43-2015_Broadband_Feasibility_Study-1-201506101525.pdf>
is
available online.

The city currently has 179 miles of fiber in place serving 60 city
facilities; there is an additional 36 miles of empty conduit
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term305>. This network interfaces with
the Boulder Valley School District's network within the city and in other
areas of Boulder County. It also connects to Longmont's network and to a
colocation facility in Denver.

The city is also home to BRAN
<http://muninetworks.org/content/another-colorado-community-may-reclaim-local-telecommunications-authority>
-
 the Boulder Research and Administration Network. The city, the University
of Colorado at Boulder, the National Center for Atmospheric Research and
the Department of Commerce Laboratories share ownership of the BRAN fiber
network which interconnects their facilities.

... More Background on this RFP here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/boulder-releases-rfp-broadband-feasibility-study>

Kentucky City Transfers Ownership of Network, Still Under Local Control
<http://muninetworks.org/content/kentucky-city-transfers-ownership-network-still-under-local-control>
Fri, July 17, 2015 | Posted by hannah <http://muninetworks.org/users/hannah>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/kentucky-city-transfers-ownership-network-still-under-local-control>

The city of Franklin, KY transferred ownership of its fiber optic network
to the Franklin Electric Plant Board (EPB) for $2.5 million. The Franklin
City Commission unanimously approved a resolution
<http://www.franklinfavorite.com/news/local/article_19834ac4-d402-524e-9c9c-5a4bbfd5d784.html>
for
the transfer of ownership at the June 8th meeting. The network, although no
longer maintained by the city, is still under local control. The EPB is an
extension of city government
<http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/franklin-to-sell-fiber-network-to-city-s-electric-plant/article_b9118654-b916-5fe7-a8aa-712b77f33035.html>,
but has its own board of directors. Pleased with the city’s decision, Mayor
Ronnie Clark stated:

"Broadband is now the new utility, and who better to deliver those services
than the local infrastructure experts, EPB. They have the manpower and the
equipment, as well as the community's confidence in providing reliable
utility service and exceptional local customer support."

... Read the Full Story Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/kentucky-city-transfers-ownership-network-still-under-local-control>

Community Broadband Media Roundup - July 20
Story *Community Broadband Media Roundup - July 20* has been updated.
Tue, July 21, 2015 | Posted by rebecca
<http://muninetworks.org/users/rebecca>

*Community Network Media Roundup By State*

*California*

Santa Monica cited as model city for broadband
<http://smdp.com/santa-monica-cited-model-city-broadband/149309>by Debbie
Lee, The Santa Monica Daily Press

Beginning with the unveiling of a Telecommunications Master Plan in 1998,
the City of Santa Monica has reduced the cost of laying fiber optic cable
by nearly 90 percent by coordinating installation with other capital
projects while issuing no additional debt. As of the end of 2013, the City
of Santa Monica maintains 32 free Wi-Fi
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term29>hotspots along nine major
commercial corridors and has managed to synchronize 80 traffic signals,
according to a report by the Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR).
Additionally, generating $5 million in revenue toward the City General
Fund, the city has lowered the cost of high capacity internet connections
for businesses by over two-thirds.

“We’re gratified by this recognition of Santa Monica’s success at building
out digital infrastructure, which we hope can serve as an example for other
communities on how to proceed incrementally, sustainably and even
profitably,” said Santa Monica Mayor, Kevin McKeown.

 ... Read the Full Community Network Roundup Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-july-20>

--
You can always find our most recent stories and other resources at http://MuniNetworks.org
---