[Davisgig] Tax Measure at City Council 07/07/2015

Douglas A. Walter dawalter at dcn.org
Thu Jul 2 21:59:02 PDT 2015

I appreciate that comment, Jim. You might be right. We have a needs assessment in the Yolo Broadband Plan, but that's not formal in respect to digging trenches, etc. But for an implementation plan, you bring up the problem of "when" and "with what money?" On occasion that seems like "which comes first, chicken or egg?"

On Jul 2, 2015, at 9:46 PM, Jim Frame wrote:

> I'd be careful with this.  Absent a formal needs assessment, substantial -- perhaps even majority -- community awareness and support, *and* a detailed implementation/business plan, my sense is that municipal fiber will get tarred with the "nice to have" brush during council deliberations, and any proposal to include it on a near-term tax measure will be relegated to the "not now" bucket along with swimming pools and sports parks.  That could be worse in the long run than no mention at all during this agenda item.
>
> One or two remarks at the podium about the importance of muni fiber might help with councilmember awareness, but swarming public comment with pleas for inclusion on a 2016 tax measure doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
>
> On 7/2/2015 11:57 AM, Robert Nickerson wrote:
>> HI Davisites
>>
>> Looks like this item is being discussed at City Council - would a TAX
>> measure like this be happening at the next 06/2016 election?
>> Municipal Fiber Optic should be a "priority capital project"
>>
>> Anyone think it worthwhile to speak up for DavisGIG at the Public
>> Comment ? Or during this item?
>>

>> Item 6
>> 7:00 Potential Tax Measure (City Manager Dirk Brazil/Assistant City
>> Manager Kelly
>> Stachowicz/Budget Manager Kelly Fletcher)
>> Recommendation: Consider a General Utility User Tax to address unfunded
>> needs,
>> including, but not limited to, capital needs such road maintenance,
>> bicycle paths/trails,
>> and other priority capital projects, provide direction on the scope of
>> such a tax measure
>> and direct staff to begin analysis and return to the City Council with a
>> draft Ordinance
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Rob Nickerson
>>
>> CEO
>> Om Networks
>> UCD Class of 96
>> C: 530-848-3865
>>
>> If we have helped you in a positive way, please give us a good
>> recommendation at daviswiki.org <http://daviswiki.org/Omsoft>, and/or
>> yelp.com <http://www.yelp.com/biz/omsoft-technologies-davis>.
>> Please like us on Facebook
>> <https://www.facebook.com/omsofttechnologies%22>. and put us in your
>> circle at Google+ <https://plus.google.com/+OMSOFTDavis/posts>

> --
> Jim Frame                jhframe at dcn.org                 530.756.8584
> Frame Surveying & Mapping         609 A Street        Davis, CA 95616

Doug Walter • dawalter at dcn.org • home
We have learned to fly the air like birds and swim the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers. — Rev. Dr. M.L. King
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1964/king-lecture.html