[Davisgig] First Meeting

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Thu Jan 22 20:41:44 PST 2015

First meeting was good.

We took a little over an hour and half, had some beers, some had dinner.

I went over the municipal fiber for davis concept as I currently
understand it, and made sure  people were on board with this particular
model.

We discussed strategies for getting this complex project completed.
Specifically, what approach do we take, either resident activist
organization or city task force, to get it done.

Ultimately we decided we will do both, starting with getting the
activist group well established and rolling.  and after our website is
done, we have some more grounding in costs, and technical designs, we
will get through with a task force going. We will populate the task
force from people within the activist group. That way we can involve the
city in looking at different options for implementing fiber optic, and
see who is going to come in support or opposition.

People were thinking of trying to get grants to help fund all the
paperwork (plans and planning work, to be able to bring this off. With
the tools of the internet, I think we can do a lot of that right now
while we build things up. Maybe someone can talk to a local organization
like techDavis and see if they would help with interim funding to hire
and generate the plans.

I identified at LEAST 5 areas that needs to be dealt with that I have
put on the wiki here:

http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/~help/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=operations

People have volunteered for various areas.

I'll flesh out the wiki a bit more on those areas, and I suggest we use
our wiki as our main coordination tool for this project. It will be a
helpful repository for crafting our public website content from. Feel
free to contribute and do so yourself. If you have important information
to add to the discussion to, I suggest you put it there, as its time to
organize this information at a higher level that we can all reference to
w/o looking through the mailing list archives.

Thanks to Jason Aller for putting in a bunch of time building it out.

Come on others - please do.

Next steps, Im going to talk with POU people in town, and reach out to
the Kevins in communications resources.

The website group are going to get a web site going, Im sure if you want
to help they would expect it.

Things we need

1) Access to Google Maps Engine Pro - anyone already pay that ? Its like
$50 per yr

2) We need to articulate why it is important to have municipal fiber  in
a completely lay person way, no acronyms or tech speak.

3)  A Team Agreement that states our goals, and what we are and aren't
going to do working together to acheive those goals (?)

4) Start talking to your friends and neighbors about it, and community
groups you are involved with.

I expect we will have another gathering next month.

This is going to take time to do, but I bet it will happen, and everyone
seems committed to doing it right, so it will work, and be a success.

Onward!

RAN
--
Rob Nickerson

CEO
Om Networks
UCD Class of 96
C: 530-848-3865

If we have helped you in a positive way, please give us a good
recommendation at daviswiki.org <http://daviswiki.org/Omsoft>, and/or
yelp.com <http://www.yelp.com/biz/omsoft-technologies-davis>.
Please like us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/omsofttechnologies%22>. and put us in your