[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 1/20

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Jan 20 12:06:11 PST 2015

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the Institute for
Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear at bottom.  Send
feedback.  Forward Widely.*

President Obama Speaks Against Barriers to Community Networks
<http://muninetworks.org/content/president-obama-speaks-against-barriers-community-networks>
Wed, January 14, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/president-obama-speaks-against-barriers-community-networks>

When we started to hear rumors that the White House was investigating
community owned networks, we were excited but not sure what to expect. I
have to admit that seeing President Obama - the President of the United
States - saying that Cedar Falls was smart to invest in themselves was much
more powerful than I ever expected (see the video below).'

President Obama will visit Cedar Falls on Wednesday to address his plans to
increase access to affordable, high-speed broadband across the country.
Tune in at 3:40 Eastern to the White House Briefing Room
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/president-obama-delivers-remarks-cedar-falls-utilities>
watch the live event.

The efforts of so many people to legitimize community networks are now
paying off. Belittled by the big cable companies and their paid experts, we
certainly were not destined to reach this point. But we are here - and
everyone now recognizes that local governments can play an important role
in ensuring we all have great Internet access.

... Preliminary Coverage Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/president-obama-speaks-against-barriers-community-networks>

... Post Speech Coverage Here with Video of his Talk ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/national-press-follows-president-obama-cedar-falls-iowa>

Use Social Media to Support Local Choice!
<http://muninetworks.org/content/use-social-media-support-local-choice>
Tue, January 20, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/use-social-media-support-local-choice>

Join us on February 2 as we make the case for local Internet choice - with
a few simple clicks, you can join our Thunderclap, where all of our social
media accounts will publish a message in favor of local choice.

The Coalition for Local Internet Choice <http://localnetchoice.org/> is
encouraging people to sign up in advance
<https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/21222-local-internet-choice?locale=en> and
to spread the word far and wide.

Please encourage your friends, colleagues, etc., to join in and help us to
build momentum after the President spoke out in favor of community networks
<http://muninetworks.org/content/national-press-follows-president-obama-cedar-falls-iowa>
last
week in Cedar Falls!

Missouri Bill Creates New Barriers to Community Networks
<http://muninetworks.org/content/missouri-bill-creates-new-barriers-community-networks>
Tue, January 13, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/missouri-bill-creates-new-barriers-community-networks>

Republican State Representative Rocky Miller
<http://www.house.mo.gov/member.aspx?district=124> began the new
legislative session with a bill designed to yank authority from local
communities that need better connectivity.  Even though the state
already preempts local
authority to sell telecommunications services
<http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/39200004101.HTML>, there is a
current exemption for "Internet-type services." HB 437
<http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills151/billpdf/intro/HB0437I.PDF> [PDF]
removes that exemption and would make it all but impossible for a local
community to ensure they had access to the same types of services now
available in Kansas City.

The bill prohibits communities from offering services if there are any
private providers with no regard to the type or quality of those services.
There can be no mistake that bills such as these are aimed directly at
communities contemplating building their own gigabit networks because the
existing service providers have refused to invest in the needed
infrastructure.

... More Details About this Troubling Bill ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/missouri-bill-creates-new-barriers-community-networks>

Howard County Fiber Encourages New Jobs, Competition in Maryland -
Community Broadband Bits Podcast 133
<http://muninetworks.org/content/howard-county-fiber-encourages-new-jobs-competition-maryland-community-broadband-bits>
Tue, January 13, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/howard-county-fiber-encourages-new-jobs-competition-maryland-community-broadband-bits>

While at the Broadband Communities Economic Development conference in
Springfield <http://www.bbcmag.com/springfield/> last year, I had the good
fortune to catch a panel with Chris Merdon, the CIO of Howard County
<http://www.howardcountymd.gov/Departments.aspx?Id=180>, Maryland.

Howard County has become an Internet Service Provider, not just to itself,
but to private firms as well. To improve Internet access for businesses, it
is both leasing dark fiber to existing providers and directly offering
services to businesses and buildings.

We are grateful that Chris could join us for a Chris2 interview! We discuss
how and why Howard County chose this strategy and how it is benefiting the
community.

... Listen to the Show or Read the Transcript Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/howard-county-fiber-encourages-new-jobs-competition-maryland-community-broadband-bits>

Gigabit Muni Fiber Partnership: Westminster and Ting
<http://muninetworks.org/content/gigabit-muni-fiber-partnership-westminster-and-ting>
Tue, January 13, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/gigabit-muni-fiber-partnership-westminster-and-ting>

Westminster's city council just voted unanimously to establish a
partnership with Ting,reports the Carroll County Times
<http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/local/ph-cc-westminster-meeting-011315-20150112,0,2701792.story>.
Known primarily as a mobile service provider, Ting wants to offer Internet
services via the new municipal fiber optic network. Ting announced earlier
this month that it would soon begin offering Internet service in
Charlottesville,
Virginia
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/ting-offer-fiber-internet-service-charlottesville>
as
well.

In their own announcement about the partnership, CTC Technology & Energy's
Joanne Hovis described the arrangement
<http://www.ctcnet.us/blog/maryland-city-announces-groundbreaking-fiber-partnership-with-ting-internet/>
:

The City will fund, own, and maintain the fiber; Ting will lease the fiber
and provide all equipment and services. Ting will pay the City to use the
fiber—reducing the City’s risk while enabling Ting to offer Gigabit
Internet in Westminster without having to build a fiber network from
scratch.

CTC has worked with Westminster since the beginning to analyze the
community's situation, assets, and challenges.

... More Details on This Exciting Partnership! ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/gigabit-muni-fiber-partnership-westminster-and-ting>

SandyNet Now Offering Gigabit FTTH in Oregon
<http://muninetworks.org/content/sandynet-now-offering-gigabit-ftth-oregon>
Thu, January 15, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/sandynet-now-offering-gigabit-ftth-oregon>

Back in September, SandyNet announced that its FTTH
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term13> gigabit network was officially
up and running. The utility will continue to expand and eventually bring
the network to all 4,000 households. Light Reading
<http://www.lightreading.com/gigabit/gigabit-cities/utility-brings-gigabit-to-oregon-town-/d/d-id/712821>
recently
spoke with Joe Knapp, Sandy's IT Director and general manager of the
broadband utility about the new offering. With a population of 10,000,
Sandy is in Oregon between Portland and Mount Hood.

The network is completely underground. Sandy is one of many communities
that have developedsmart conduit policies
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/smart-conduit-policy-sandy-mount-vernon-reduces-network-cost>,
reducing the cost and preparing the environment for deployment over a
period of years.

... More Information on Sandy Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/sandynet-now-offering-gigabit-ftth-oregon>

Roanoke Valley Broadband Authority Issues RFP
<http://muninetworks.org/content/roanoke-valley-broadband-authority-issues-rfp>
Fri, January 16, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/roanoke-valley-broadband-authority-issues-rfp>

The Roanoke Valley in Virginia has taken a deliberate pace on the road to
improving local connectivity. On December 10th, the Roanoke Valley
Broadband Authority (RVBA) released an RFP <http://highspeedroanoke.net/> for
proposals for an open access <http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term625> fiber
optic network.

The RVBA is seeking a partner to build the network that will remain a
publicly owned asset but will be managed by a private partner. According to
the RFP, the City of Salem Electric Department has fiber in place that will
be integrated into the the network. The RVBA has already invested in
design, engineering, and permitting of 42 miles of a fiber network to
jumpstart the process. Construction should begin this year.

... More Information on the Story Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/roanoke-valley-broadband-authority-issues-rfp>

Hagerstown, Maryland Issues RFI for Gigabit Network
<http://muninetworks.org/content/hagerstown-maryland-issues-rfi-gigabit-network>
Sun, January 11, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/hagerstown-maryland-issues-rfi-gigabit-network>

Hagerstown <http://www.hagerstownmd.org/>, population 40,000, recently
released a Request for Information to field ideas to develop existing
infrastructure for residents and local businesses.

According to the press release:

"The interest in our City and the potential shown for our market from
industry professionals working with municipal broadband initiatives has
been very promising. We look forward to moving ahead in collaboration with
private partners to bring affordable technology to Hagerstown," says Mayor
Dave Gysberts.

The RFI identifies five goals ...

... Read the Goals Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/hagerstown-maryland-issues-rfi-gigabit-network>