[Davisgig] DavisGig Recapitulation for new list members

rob rob at omsoft.com
Fri Jan 2 22:32:14 PST 2015

Hi Davisites

After returning from a much needed 2 week break from the e-world, its
good to see input from sources, I have  great respect for, and am
relieved to hear from. It also looks like a new wave of folks has joined
the list, so I wanted to recapitulate the story on the genesis for this.

While pondering a response to the City Request for Expression of
Interest on Gigabit fiber, I wrote up a model on how a city owned fiber
network would work, and could operate. In my business presently, I've
been pondering on this issue for some years, and I'm thinking now the
timing is getting right for deploying this. For instance, End user fiber
CPE (customer premise equipment) can be had now for about $100 and it
works well.

Here is the URL for the document:

http://list.omsoft.com/pipermail/davisgig/attachments/20141217/2c9577f8/attachment-0001.pdf

So initially, I am soliciting feedback on this, as a general plan, and
how it can be refined, or improved.
New list members, over the next days take a moment and read it up. Let
me know what I'm missing.

Really appreciate everyone's response so far.

I've reached out to some of you over 2014 about making this happen in
our town, and am really needing and looking to you all to help us
realize this for our community. My time is really stretched between work
and family as everyone's is.

And so, onward.

Does anyone have good suggestions aside from a  private wiki type site
where we can track people's input?

That way we have it easily at hand as we are refining a plan for the
city to consider, and we can use it to build the content for our public
facing website that is presenting the importance of this project to our
neighbors.

  I can try and have a dokuwiki here in some days, we can use privately,
and I'll apply for a simple site from DCN for the public facing site.