[Davisgig] Recently in Community Networks... Week of 2/17

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Feb 17 07:40:13 PST 2015

*Recent Stories from MuniNetworks.org - a project of the Institute for
Local Self-Reliance. Instructions for unsubscribing appear at bottom.  Send
feedback.  Forward Widely.*

Answering Questions About Title II and Munis - Community Broadband Bits
Episode 138
<http://muninetworks.org/content/answering-questions-about-title-ii-and-munis-community-broadband-bits-episode-138>
Tue, February 17, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/answering-questions-about-title-ii-and-munis-community-broadband-bits-episode-138>

As we near the FCC open meeting at the end of next week, when it will
decide on both the Chattanooga and Wilson petitions regarding their wish to
expand as well as a proposal to reclassify Internet access a Title II
service in order to ensure it can maintain the same open Internet we have
long loved. We have mostly focused on the muni petitions, but after hearing
some concerns from some munis regarding Title II, we realized we have to
delve into the Title II reclassification more deeply.

Enter Chris Lewis, VP of Government of Affairs for Public Knowledge
<https://www.publicknowledge.org/>. I've always enjoyed talking with Chris
on various issues around telecom policy and we asked him to come on and
answer some of the questions we have heard.

We talk about the prospects of rate regulation, unbundling, transparency
requirements, and the process for filing complaints until Title II.
Overall, our conclusion is that the rules as we understand them, are quite
reasonable and should not pose a problem to munis that are already
committed to providing a high quality service.

You can read a Fact Sheet about the proposed rules here
<http://www.fcc.gov/document/chairman-wheeler-proposes-new-rules-protecting-open-internet>
.

... Listen to the Show Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/answering-questions-about-title-ii-and-munis-community-broadband-bits-episode-138>

Time Warner Cable Successfully Blocks Funds for Community Network in Maine;
Project to Continue
<http://muninetworks.org/content/time-warner-cable-successfully-blocks-funds-community-network-maine-project-continue>
Thu, February 12, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/time-warner-cable-successfully-blocks-funds-community-network-maine-project-continue>

Time Warner Cable recently fought to prevent a collaborative project in
Maine from receiving $125,000 in state broadband funding, reported the
Bangor Daily News
<http://bangordailynews.com/2015/01/16/business/maine-raises-broadband-internet-standard-turns-down-orono-grant/?ref=BusinessBox>
.

We reported in December
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/more-muni-fiber-projects-maine> that
Old Town, Orono, the University of Maine, and GWI had been awarded
ConnectME funds. The collaborators earmarked the funding for a stretch of
about 4 miles of fiber which could serve about 320 subscribers and would
ultimately be integrated into a much larger network for businesses and
residents. The network would connect to Maine's Three Ring Binder
<http://www.maine.gov/connectme/documents/TRBsummaryfortheBBSC.pdf> network.

Old Town and Orono want to establish
<https://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/07/business/orono-talking-with-maine-company-to-bring-high-speed-fiber-line-to-technology-park/>
gigabit
connectivity to a nearby industrial area to transform it into a technology
park for economic development purposes. Several businesses, including a
health clinic that, have expressed interest in setting up shop in the
planned development.

... The Full Story Awaits Your Attention Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/time-warner-cable-successfully-blocks-funds-community-network-maine-project-continue>

Rural Colorado Internet Access and Mountain Connect - Community Broadband
Bits Episode 137
<http://muninetworks.org/content/rural-colorado-internet-access-and-mountain-connect-community-broadband-bits-episode-137>
Tue, February 10, 2015 | Posted by christopher
<http://muninetworks.org/users/christopher>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/rural-colorado-internet-access-and-mountain-connect-community-broadband-bits-episode-137>

Last year was the first year I attended Mountain Connect
<http://mountainconnect.org/>, an event in the Rockies west of Denver that
discusses approaches to improving Internet access. Historically, they
focused on rural communities but as co-chair of the event Jeff Gavlinski
notes in our discussion this week, they are expanding it to include more
urban issues as well.

Mountain Connect is growing in many ways and I am excited to return to it
in early June.
As Jeff and I discuss, it is focused on all solutions to expanding access -
whether private sector, coop, muni, partnership, etc.

Colorado has a lot of activity from munis and especially munis that are
looking to partner, but also has a state law that requires a
time-and-energy consuming referendum before the community can really do any
planning or take action to improve its situation.

... Listen to the Show Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/rural-colorado-internet-access-and-mountain-connect-community-broadband-bits-episode-137>

Local Communities Still Committed to RS Fiber Cooperative
<http://muninetworks.org/content/local-communities-still-committed-rs-fiber-cooperative>
Mon, February 09, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/local-communities-still-committed-rs-fiber-cooperative>

Green Isle and nine other communities have reaffirmed their commitment to
the RS Fiber Cooperative, reports the Belle Plain Herald
<http://belleplaineherald.com/Content/News/Area-News/Article/Green-Isle-Other-Cities-Remain-Committed-to-RS-Fiber-Project/7/40/5653>.
The project began in 2010 as a collaboration between a number of local
county and municipal government entities in south central Minnesota. Local
residents rallied behind the project, which was designed to connect both
towns and surrounding farms.

Unfortunately, the project faced difficulties due to incumbent intimidation
and the high cost of deployment in such a large geographic area. Sibley
County officials chose to back out of the project, requiring a business
plan reboot. Locals, recognizing the critical need for better connectivity
chose to instead form the RS Fiber Cooperative <http://www.rsfiber.coop/>.

... Read the Full Story Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/local-communities-still-committed-rs-fiber-cooperative>

Want FTTH? Move to North Dakota, Reports USDA
<http://muninetworks.org/content/want-ftth-move-north-dakota-reports-usda>
Sun, February 15, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/want-ftth-move-north-dakota-reports-usda>

A recent USDA report reveals that fossil fuels are not the only thing
booming in North Dakota. The state ranked 47 for population is ranked
number 1 as having the highest percentage of people with access to FTTH
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term13>.

According to a Telecompetitor article
<http://www.telecompetitor.com/report-highlights-fiber-home-deployment-data-benefits/>,
their status can be attributed to an abundance of rural cooperatives and
small telecom companies. These local providers have made it their business
to fill the gaps left behind by large corporate ISPs that cannot justify
investing in rural deployment. Given that most of North Dakota is rural,
approximately 96% of the state is served by these smaller providers. The State
Broadband map <http://broadband.nd.gov/mapping/map.htm> shows a total of 41
providers, including 17 cooperatives and 24 privately owned providers of
varying size.

Another advantage to rural status? These cooperatives and small providers
have qualified for USDA programs aimed at improving connectivity in
sparsely populated regions. The report notes that the USDA has invested
$338 million in grants and loans in North Dakota through its various
telecommunications programs.

... Rest of the Story and Video Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/want-ftth-move-north-dakota-reports-usda>

Comcast Ghostwrites Letters From Elected Officials to FCC
<http://muninetworks.org/content/comcast-ghostwrites-letters-elected-officials-fcc>
Tue, February 10, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/comcast-ghostwrites-letters-elected-officials-fcc>

It is common knowledge that Comcast and a number of political leaders enjoy
special relationships. Nevertheless, it was still a bit shocking to see the
level at which Comcast's army has infiltrated the political process as
uncovered in a recent Verge article.
<http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/26/7878239/comcast-twc-fcc-merger-letters-politicians-ghostwritten>

Comcast, Time Warner Cable, AT&T, and CenturyLink lawyers and lobbyists
often write legislation for lawmakers to introduce. This past summer, the
puppetry went one step further when Comcast crafted letters supporting the
Comcast/Time Warner Cable merger. Those letters were then submitted to the
FCC from the offices of a number of politicians known to receive support
from the cable giant. We applaud both Comcast and their pet lawmakers for
their efficiency!

The Verge was also able to obtain email threads that document how lobbyists
drafted letters of support and sent them on to local elected officials, who
then made insignificant changes in the signature line or transferred the
exact language on to official stationery before sending it on to the FCC.

... Surprised?  We Aren't - More Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/comcast-ghostwrites-letters-elected-officials-fcc>

Minnesota Border to Border Broadband Awards Announced
<http://muninetworks.org/content/minnesota-border-border-broadband-awards-announced>
Wed, February 11, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/minnesota-border-border-broadband-awards-announced>

The Minnesota Office of Broadband Development
<http://www.mn.gov/deed/programs-services/broadband/> recently announced
the recipients of the Border to Border Broadband grants, funding
established by the state legislature in 2014 to facilitate rural broadband
projects. Seventeen public and private entities will share a total of $19.4
million in Greater Minnesota.

According the the Department of Employment and Economic Development
(DEED) press
release
<http://mn.gov/deed/newscenter/press-releases/newsdetail.jsp?id=466-155088>,
the projects will help bring better connectivity to 6,095 households, 83
community institutions, and 150 businesses in areas of the state considered
unserved or underserved. This funding pays for up to 50 percent of the cost
of each project.

The need in rural areas of the state is intense; 40 projects submitted
applications for a total of $44.2 million in requests. Among the recipients
are some familiar projects.

... Read our Full Coverage Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/minnesota-border-border-broadband-awards-announced>

38 Next Century Cities Leaders Sign Letter to FCC Supporting Local Authority
<http://muninetworks.org/content/38-next-century-cities-leaders-sign-letter-fcc-supporting-local-authority>
Fri, February 13, 2015 | Posted by lgonzalez
<http://muninetworks.org/users/lgonzalez>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/38-next-century-cities-leaders-sign-letter-fcc-supporting-local-authority>

President Obama suggested
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/national-press-follows-president-obama-cedar-falls-iowa>
restoring
local telecommunications authority while visiting Cedar Falls in January
and a number of local elected officials were ready to back him up. Leaders
from 38 members of Next Century Cities
<http://nextcenturycities.org/2015/01/29/over-40-elected-officials-sign-ncc-letter-to-the-federal-communications-commission-in-support-of-local-choice/>
recently
submitted a public letter to the FCC urging commissioners to consider local
autonomy as they consider the Chattanooga and Wilson, North Carolina,
petitions.

Last summer, both communities filed with the FCC
<http://www.muninetworks.org/content/fcc-our-best-shot-restore-local-authority>
seeking
relief from restrictive state laws that prevent their broadband utilities
from serving surrounding communities. FCC Chairman Wheeler hasspoken in
support
<http://muninetworks.org/content/fccs-wheeler-forging-ahead-support-grows-restore-local-decision-making>
of
local authority more than once. Next Century Cities, a coalition of
communities that was formed specifically to advance better connectivity,
writes:

We write only to urge that, as you consider these petitions, you take
proper account of the importance of local choice and autonomy. The benefits
of high-quality broadband are now beyond dispute: these projects have
stimulated local innovation and economic development, enhanced education,
improved government services, and opened new worlds of opportunity to
communities and citizens. It is our hope that federal policy will support
the realization of these outcomes in our communities and in towns and
cities across the country, by empowering every community to meet the needs
of their residents.

You can read the full letter [PDF]
<http://nextcenturycities.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/FCC-Letter.pdf>
online
to see if your elected officials signed on.

The FCC's decision on the petitions is expected in February
<http://www.multichannel.com/news/policy/fcc-vote-chattanooga-wilson-petitions-feb-26/386916>
.

Community Broadband Media Roundup - February 13, 2015
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-13-2015>
Tue, February 17, 2015 | Posted by rebecca
<http://muninetworks.org/users/rebecca>
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-13-2015>

The FCC’s decision to change the definition of broadband continues to make
ripples in the muni broadband world. With the speed increased from 4 Mbps
<http://muninetworks.org/glossary/1#term18>down, 1 Mbps up, to 25 Mbps
down, 3 Mbps up, 75% of the country is now classified as having either no
service, or no choices for their Internet connection. The change also means
more underserved communities may be able to access to grant money to build
networks, it also highlights a more realistic view of the importance of
Internet speed for economic development:

Shaming Cable Giants, FCC Demands Faster Internet
<http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/shaming-cable-giants-fcc-demands-faster-internet-20150129>
Republicans
complain that increasing the definition of "broadband" is meant to justify
power grabs, by Brendan Sasso, National Journal.

DSL The New Dialup? <http://www.telecompetitor.com/dsl-new-dial/> by Bernie
Arneson, Telecompetitor

... Woof - Lots of Links Here ...
<http://muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-media-roundup-february-13-2015>