[Davisgig] Update

Robert Nickerson omrob at omsoft.com
Fri Feb 13 15:11:52 PST 2015

Davis Gig Update

Hi All

So what is the word for feeling bittersweet about the beautiful weather,
are there any German speakers out there that have any ideas?

Anyway here are some updates as to what has been going on over the past
weeks.

1) A public facing website is in the offing, and should be online
sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.

2) I met with John Paul of Spiral Internet in Nevada City. He is a
tremendous resource, and is just about to start the Nevada City Fiber
deployment. While it will not be municipal owned, it will be a
"community network." He has offered to be our ally in this effort, share
resources contacts, and time at city council meetings.  He has spent the
last 2-3 years going to cities that put in fiber. Attending Connected
Communities type conferences, assembling people to work with, and
getting a 60% matching grant for the deployment through the PUC. Nevada
City being a largely under-served market, that is an option available to
them.

3) JP really recommended we attend the Connected Communities event in
Austin. 3-4 people have offered to donate some funds to get us there,
thank you to those that have. More is needed. There are registration
tickets available for $195 so, that is very affordable, lets send
multiple people if we can. There is also a 3 day FTTH certification
course that would be excellent to attend.

4) We will be recording a radio interview with KDRT's "Davisville"
program this Sunday 2/15 at 1pm. Its at Davis Media Access. While I will
be on the program, we would really like another articulate member of the
group that feels they could speak to the issue on the program. This will
be a great media piece for us, it will be recorded and available online
for people to listen to.

PLEASE email me if you can make this interview.

5) Should be meeting with public power group in town here in a bit.

6) Davis Community Network will be doing strategic thinking and the
board will be developing a plan to support this effort, through
writing/publishing a white paper or doing public outreach depending on
what is  needed.  In full disclosure, I am a member of that board, and
about to take the presidency for the upcoming year.

7) I'd like to pull together another meeting of the group on 2/25 at
6pm. Sudwerk is good again, or Omsoft also works. I think we had about
the max number of people we could get around like 3 tables at the last
meeting and still be heard.
At this meeting we should be close to being able to go somewhat public
with the project, and I'll hopefully be able to report about some
additional meetings I've attended.

Does anybody have anything they want to add at this point?

Efforts you have put toward this goal over the past month?

Thanks All
--
Rob Nickerson

CEO
Om Networks
UCD Class of 96
C: 530-848-3865

If we have helped you in a positive way, please give us a good
recommendation at daviswiki.org <http://daviswiki.org/Omsoft>, and/or
yelp.com <http://www.yelp.com/biz/omsoft-technologies-davis>.
Please like us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/omsofttechnologies%22>. and put us in your