[Davisgig] City of Davis Staff Report on Broadband Released & Article about El Macero

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Tue Dec 1 11:10:43 PST 2015

A little more. A tax dedicated to a single purpose is not a general tax and
would require 2/3, making it possible at any regular election.

This explains to me why some of the neighboring communities have had
simple-majority tax measures with associated "advisory" measures telling
the city to spend the money a particular way. So long as the "advisory" is
non-binding, the tax would be a general tax.

I think the whole point of city involvement is to do a bond. If we don't do
a bond, we'd need to use a private entity with private financing. Which
some cities have done via non-profits like DCN. No election needed. But
nearly certainly more expensive and loses the benefit of municipal
ownership.